Autometer fuel level gauge

Chief11885

Amateur Racer
Jun 17, 2006
Kansas
I replaced all of my gauges in my car and went with the autometer ultra lite. But i am having a problem with the fuel level. I ordered the 0-90 ohm and the thing reads full all of the time and i mean pegged past full. The original word before and i have tested the ohms value and it never reads 0-90 so i have no idea what is a matter. I dropped the tank and took the sending unit out and moved it manually and still the same on the gauge. just don't know what to think?

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com
Have you checked the ohms between the wire and the metal body of the sender or some other way?

If you get 0-90 readings as you move the lever then you have a bad ground somewhere between the body of the sender and your gauge. Do you have the ground strap hooked up from the sender base(fuel tank pickup assembly) and the body of the car?

Chief11885

Amateur Racer
Jun 17, 2006
Kansas
yes i think because i have it grounded at the back where the lights are grounded and i also have it grounded under the dash with the lighting ground. i ajust the lever and no change in the gage. it just stays pegged out. So i don't know if i could just rerun wire for the sending unit and the ground or what.

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com
My next guess is the wire running from the sender to your gauge is screwed. I cant remember if an open circuit reads full or empty, but id try to get a test light/meter hooked up between the wire at your tank and the wire going to your gauge and see if its an open or what exactly.

Let me know if that makes sense. :lol:

Chief11885

Amateur Racer
Jun 17, 2006
Kansas
is there a way that i can test the float to see exactly what it is reading? By taking it loose from the sending unit wire and test it there or does there have to be power there?

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com
Chief11885 said:
is there a way that i can test the float to see exactly what it is reading? By taking it loose from the sending unit wire and test it there or does there have to be power there?
Yeah you can do that. Sorry, thought you already did this step.

Touch one lead to the wire coming from the sender and one lead to a metal spot on the sender somewhere. Just set your meter to ohms of course and a low scale and you'll be good to go. No power needed, your meter supplies that.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I'm pretty sure Full is the high end (90 ohms) of the meter.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!