BATTERY GROUND

mreese

Amateur Racer
Aug 16, 2007
KILGORE TX
I JUST MOVED THE BATTERY TO THE TRUNK AND NOW MY STARTER IS LOUD.
WAS NOT MAKING THIS SOUND BEFORE;THE STARTER IS A MSD APS AND
I USED 1 AWG WELDING LEAD FOR POSITIVE AND THE GROUND BUT
DID NOT PUT A GROUND STRAP ON THE MOTOR. LOOKED AT THE FLYWHEEL
AND STARTER GEAR AND LOOKS FINE NOT WARPED BUT IT LOOKS LIKE
THE STARTER BENDIX IS ONLY GOING HALF WAY IN THE FLYWHEEL.
COULD NOT HAVING IT GROUNDED ON THE MOTOR BE THE PROBLEM?
IT IS GROUNDED ON THE ROLL CAGE AND MY MOR IS A 15:1 434 SBC

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
What exactly is grounded to the cage? If you run the ground of both the motor and the battery to the cage you might be ok.

mreese

Amateur Racer
Aug 16, 2007
KILGORE TX
FROM THE BATTERY - SIDE TO THE CAGE IN THE BACK OF THE CAR. IT HAS SOLID MOTOR MOUNTS

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Solid motor mounts don't do crap for grounds. Run a ground cable off the block, and it wouldn't hurt to weld a stud to the frame rails and run a battery ground to there.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
If you're referencing a ground that runs all the way back up to the engine, it probably wouldn't be as good as grounding to the frame or cage. There is more metal to carry current (I'm sure ohms per foot probably wouldn't come into play here ;)) than a wire that's run 15'-17'. Not that there would be any major problems if one was run, but imho it would be easier running a ground to the frame instead, you don't have to crawl around under/in the car routing the ground alongside the positive cable. Just my $.01 ;) I'd put some type of (maybe lithium)grease on the connections too to ward away corrosion.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
it would be easier running a ground to the frame instead, you don't have to crawl around under/in the car routing the ground alongside the positive cable

My statement still stands. Voltage drop would be negligible in this case I'm sure, unless someone can give me proof that the ohm-per-foot rating would be that much higher than a 0 or 00 AWG wire...

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts