battery ground

Z-man

Dragway Regular
Aug 12, 2006
Barnesville MN/ Fargo ND
I ground mine to the block then I ground the block to the frame then the frame to the body.

WhiteTrash79MC

Dragway Regular
Aug 20, 2004
Reading, PA
Mine is battery to block (alternator bracket actually) Then I have 2 uninsulated braided- copper ground straps from the firewall to the back of each cylinder head.

t-money80

Daily Driver
Mar 2, 2008
Granite City IL
WhiteTrash79MC said:
Mine is battery to block (alternator bracket actually) Then I have 2 uninsulated braided- copper ground straps from the firewall to the back of each cylinder head.

mines grounded on the altanator bracket too but thats all no braid . the car has been hard to start when its hot i replaced the starter and had the battery checked and it checked ok . the ground was on the alt bracket when i got the car with the 305 in it and it always started ok but since i put the new 350 in its been hard to start when hot . ill try changing the grounds and see if that helps. any thing els i could check ? also what cranking amp battery should i use. Thanks for the help.

lurchsmalibu

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2005
Lakeland, Florida
With the new motor, is the timing still properly set? Do you now have excessive heat around the starter with an addition of headers or anything different?

t-money80

Daily Driver
Mar 2, 2008
Granite City IL
lurchsmalibu said:
With the new motor, is the timing still properly set? Do you now have excessive heat around the starter with an addition of headers or anything different?

ya added headers to the new motor they dont sit real close to the starter ,i can remove it without removing the header. I ordered a timing light with an advance on yesterday i will check it this weekend and see what the toltal timing is. if its timing won't it surge when trying to start? thanks

WhiteTrash79MC

Dragway Regular
Aug 20, 2004
Reading, PA
X2 on the timing. My 350 likes ALOT of timing, but I found out the first time i went to restart it that I had to back it down a degree or 6 :D
I forgot to mention the star washers as well, they help "bite" into the metal and make better ground.
Also how is your starter to block ground situation. When I painted my engine, I forgot to mask off the starter area. Needless to say that was :oops: situation.
I've gotten by with a cheap (WalMart) 550 CCA battery before, but I gotta say my 720 CCA Red Top sure performs a lot better, and allows me to really crank up the timing advance.
And last of all what condition are your pos/neg cables in? If they're original I'd replace them or at least check them thoroughly. My friend had trouble with this nova he got, long story short he noticed a small nick in the ground cable after pulling it out. It was so corroded on the inside there were only about half of the strands left.

GreenDragginBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 10, 2003
N.E. Ohio
I have my battery in rear. I have grounded to frame. and two very large grounds from engine to frame, and 2 from engine to firewall.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts