BBC El Camino wheel hop

abigda

Frequent Racer
May 19, 2007
Springfield, MA
I know this has been beaten to death! But I'm at square one, they only thing I've changed in to install a quickperformance 9" with the relocation lower brackets, everything else is stock. I want to come up with a plan and do it all one shot. Wheel hoping through almost 3 entire gears. So need traction and wheel hop help...... stock arms, no swaybar, cargo coil springs, new bushings thou.. Thanks in ad advance

abigda

Frequent Racer
May 19, 2007
Springfield, MA
Arms are stock, but not for long, bushing are poly I believe, came with the QP rear.. I'm looking for a good setup that someone has good luck with (control arms, bracing, swaybar, ?)

UMI Sales

Amateur Racer
Jan 6, 2009
abigda said:
Arms are stock, but not for long, bushing are poly I believe, came with the QP rear.. I'm looking for a good setup that someone has good luck with (control arms, bracing, swaybar, ?)

Hello
I noticed you are having wheel hop issues. And seeing how you are using factory style upper and lowers is ok. But seeing how the control arms themselves are just stamped piece of metal they will flex causing the bushings to bind which this is were your wheel hop would be coming from. And when a customer always mentioned a aftermarket Rear End I would always suggest going with at least a single adjustable Poly/Rod to eliminate any issues with possible binding and allow the rear to articulate if need be. But seeing how you got the relocation brackets on the rear. And once you replace the factory stamped control arms with a solid set of control arms. You will notice a huge difference in the performance/handling especially the traction improvement of the vehicle. Below is a link to show you what I am explaining and if you have any other questions feel free to ask.
http://www.umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_60_74&products_id=94&zenid=ffur96b8fht67t97bo3vk293b0
Thanks
Brad :D

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
I'm on board with Brad. All Poly is a No-no in the back. You might as well run a solid mounted axle.

Tommy

abigda

Frequent Racer
May 19, 2007
Springfield, MA
Thanks for the input guys, I am going to box my lower arms and swap the uppers for tubular (for adjustment and 3" exhaust clearance), I'm going to ditch the stock replacement shocks and go with some street/strip QA1's, plus take off the 245 radial t/A's I'm running and swap over to a 275 Mickey Thompson street ET's. Hopefully this will kill 2 birds with one stone, eliminate wheel hop and improve traction

elcamino814

Amateur Racer
Nov 21, 2009
Beecher,illinois
hey ive got an 81 elco and just got it runnin last week. ive got a qp 9 inch with 3.70 gears, umi uppers and lower non adjustible, comp eng shocks, stock springs and 275 mickeys and man that thing hooked good on the street the other day. its a small block with a 100 shot( about 550hp) i also added 50 lbs to the rear bumper and also took out a bunch of weight from the front to help transfer weight. hope that helps

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!