Best way to wire battery disconnect switch??

A

Anonymous

Should I just run the alternator charge wire all the way to the back of the car and hook it to the disconnected side of the switch? I hate to run that wire all the way back there but I can't think of a better way to insure the car will shut down. TIA

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Run it through a relay. That way the charge wire can remain as short as possible and the system still completely shuts down when you flip the kill off.

Tommy

A

Anonymous

LS6 Tommy said:
Run it through a relay. That way the charge wire can remain as short as possible and the system still completely shuts down when you flip the kill off.

Tommy

I thought about that but I wasn't sure a typical relay could handle the amperage......

A

Anonymous

is the battery in the trunk if so were is it grounded to the frame im guess ing put the switch in the ground line makes wiring easy and works the same as puting it in the postive line

A

Anonymous

The master cutoff has to be wired to the positive side for it to pass NHRA tech.

They have master cutoff switches that you can wire your alternator to and it will kill power to the alternator too.

Good luck!

Ryan Koskowski

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Mundy881 said:
is the battery in the trunk if so were is it grounded to the frame im guess ing put the switch in the ground line makes wiring easy and works the same as puting it in the postive line

You NEVER break the negative side of a DC circuit (or the neutral side of a 115 VAC circuit)! If something grounds out, it's still hot, switch off or not. That also goes for fuses and breakers.

Tommy

onefastermonte85

Pro Stocker
Jun 23, 2005
erie,pa
well that sucks, because i did a neg wire all nice and setup.. oh well i'll make a new one here with the + goin to the kill switch. and splice into the wire going from alt to starter and run that to the trunk.

anyone post a mapping of this.. so i dont fawk it up.

JRodS79

Pro Stocker
Nov 28, 2005
kansas city mo
i run a ford style sol and just ran the alt wire straight from that. i was also told for the best results to run the neg wire of battery up to the engine and run all your grounds off the engine ie motor to frame and frame to body exc. that way all your power that your engine needs from the battery like starting does not have to find its way around through the body

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts