Big Block Tear down

bbc_cutty

Weekend Racer
most of you dont know the story on this spacific forum, but i had a guy build my big block cutlass out of his house and i had some major problems because of it.

after the motor was built i put 0KM on it, the guy who built it put on about 300km. i spent about $8000 building it, and the guy wanted another $2000 to assemble (keep in mind all the machine work was done, and all the clearences were checked, all parts new).

i had some major issues with the mechanic that built my car, ad i no longer deal with him

hes already made it clear that he wants nothing to do with the repair on this motor. and in my eyes hes a piece of sh*t,

heres the carnage, sorry bout the poor quality pics

(the whole reason i tor into the motor was because a frost plug issue)

pulled the heads first and found some grooves in the cylinder walls, then we pulled off the pan and found that the oil pump was laying in the bottem of the pan with metal chunks blocking the oil pickup filter, we found that there was chunks of metal debris in the pan., we pulled off the mains and all the bearings were wiped out, and so were most of the rod bearings.

shitty thing is i payed alot of money to build this motor, and i never drove it, the block needs to be machined again, and the crack needs to be polished, maybe turned too, need all new bearings, rings, oil pickup, and the list goes on. looks like i wont make it to the track untill mid season.

oil pick up after i place it back in place, notice the nice welds
malibuandbbcpictures015.jpg

one of the better bearings
malibuandbbcpictures018.jpg

debris i found in the pan
malibuandbbcpictures017.jpg

A

Anonymous

i spent 16 grand on my big block and i dyno'd the motor and it made it through fine but the builder was such a dik that he said if anything happens to the motor he wants nothing to do with it.

injected

Frequent Racer
Dec 21, 2006
Quebec , Canada
Omfg !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would kill a man for less money than that !!!! I do not beleive what i am seeing . I f it would be me ,the guy would not be breathing anymore. That peice of s**t did not know what he was doing !

johnnycarlo

Frequent Racer
Apr 6, 2007
RIMBEY AB. CANADA
WOW, I'm very sorry to hear of your engine troubles. I don't think I've ever seen a pick up weld that looks like that. I'm pretty sure I could take my 3 year old son out to the shop tomorrow put a helmet on him and he could turn out some very similar or a bit better welds than that guy did. The worst part of engine building isn't the money it costs to build them it's finding someone we can trust to do the work, and that will stand good for any problems that may arise after. Hope it all works out for you in the end.

blu402mally

Pro Stocker
Jul 27, 2008
phila,pa.
yo man that's a sorry sight....hope you can get it straightened out.....that's one reason i put my own motor's together,with the help of few good friend 's of mine who take putting motor's together very seriously.

injected

Frequent Racer
Dec 21, 2006
Quebec , Canada
I am sure that you could do a very good job yourself,whith the help of guys on this forum.Next time think about it twice !! #-o

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts