Big meats no frame notch, just lip roll!!

lasttime78

Frequent Racer
Mar 7, 2011
Just outside Rochester, New York
This is for evryone who keeps asking and the other who are wondering. Most guys run 275/60/15 which fit nice but are way to tall. IMO They are 28.8 inches tall. I like to run a wider tire because of the horsepower in the big block. So running a 295/50/15 is great looking under there and is 10.5 inches wide tread to the pavemant. With the right rims and backspaceing you can run them , just roll fender lip. These 295/50/15 are only 26.4 inches tall . Now remember there is 1/4 tank of gas and the front frame is 4 1/2 inches from the ground and the rear-end is 5 1/2 inches from the ground. This is for the people who keep asking and I told 3 at show this weekend. See-Ya

Attachments

• IMG_2806.JPG
    IMG_2806.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 3,655
  • IMG_2846.JPG
    IMG_2846.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 3,663
  • IMG_2805.JPG
    IMG_2805.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 3,656

shvrolay

Dragway Regular
lasttime78 said:
This is for evryone who keeps asking and the other who are wondering. Most guys run 275/60/15 which fit nice but are way to tall. IMO They are 28.8 inches tall. I like to run a wider tire because of the horsepower in the big block. So running a 295/50/15 is great looking under there and is 10.5 inches wide tread to the pavemant. With the right rims and backspaceing you can run them , just roll fender lip. These 295/50/15 are only 26.4 inches tall . Now remember there is 1/4 tank of gas and the front frame is 4 1/2 inches from the ground and the rear-end is 5 1/2 inches from the ground. This is for the people who keep asking and I told 3 at show this weekend. See-Ya

Those do look good. What width wheel and back space?

4 1/2" ground clearance?.............I'm guessing you try to steer clear of speed bumps!?
What headers on that BBC? I'm running the Hooker 2241, and the headers are only about 5" or 6" off the ground.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Believe it or not, a taller tire gives more traction than the same tire that is shorter but a little wider. Also, those tires look REALLY pinched on those rims. What size are they? My bet is that size tire would rub quite a bit on wider rims. Not flaming, just making some observations...

Tommy

lasttime78

Frequent Racer
Mar 7, 2011
Tommy, come on you been watching to much ( Days of Thunder ). The tires are far from pinched they recomend 8 to 10 inch rims, these are 8.5 I think I am ok. ( Tommy sorry for the posting coment.)

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
Tommy is a pretty sharp dude.

slimbo

May 21, 2007
www.yellowbullet.com
My opinion is the taller tire creates a larger contact patch. And the rim is too small for that tire. But I don't do much :)

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
Min rim width is 8 inches, and max is 10.5, for a P295 50 R15 Radial T/A. You used a 8.5 which is acceptable, but BFG's recommendation, and where they get all their data from (section width, height, revs/mile) is when this tire is mounted on a 9.5 inch rim. Ideally, you should shoot for that rim width. Is your tire going to dismount itself when you carve a corner? No. Are there going to be any problems? Probably not. Your wheel width is fine. Just not IDEAL. Taller tires give better traction (linear, not lateral) than shorter tires. Wider tires for cornering, taller tires for drag racing...Listen to Tommy....and Slimbo...and me (been in the tire business for 18 years)....don't know if I'm bragging or complaining...mostly complaining :)

lasttime78

Frequent Racer
Mar 7, 2011
Everyone always has opinions on taller verses wider it's not that hard to figure out. The width of the tire only determines the shape of the contact patch - long (from fr to rear) and narrow, or short and wide. the wider the tire, the wider and shorter the contact patch (but overall area remains constant). The physics are the same. Moving a certain amount of weight with x-high, and x-wide of a tire...thats why they just make them really wide to get the better contact patch

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!