Body Guys Needed! - Sanding/blocking roof

81classic

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2003
North Port, Fl
I need some help/suggestions on how to handle the roof of my malibu. The roof is down to metal and now I notice how many imperfections are in it from what I assume was hail. I was planning on laying down a skim coat layer of filler over the whole thing to straighten it out, but the roof is extremly flimsy. Just the lightest sanding or pressure causes the roof to flex. Now most of the flex is forward of the A-pillar support where there is only a small support across the car.

Is body filler going to crack? should i just build it up with some primer/surfacer. Any suggestions for this?

RatMalibu

Pro Stocker
May 21, 2003
Rolla, Mo.
www.fidnet.com
personally I would try to gently hammer and dolly anything you can get to, skim a layer of finishing filler on hammer marks and anything thats minor (major dents in the roof are a PITA) use a flexible long block to sand it then hit it with surfacer....something like featherfill etc.....the key to sanding on a panel like the roof is let the block do the work....no pressure

heh....or spray some cheapy paint that's shiny on it and make friends with a paintless dent guy, then use the cheapy paint as a guide coat lol

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
RatMalibu said:
personally I would try to gently hammer and dolly anything you can get to, skim a layer of finishing filler on hammer marks and anything thats minor (major dents in the roof are a PITA) use a flexible long block to sand it then hit it with surfacer....something like featherfill etc.....the key to sanding on a panel like the roof is let the block do the work....no pressure

heh....or spray some cheapy paint that's shiny on it and make friends with a paintless dent guy, then use the cheapy paint as a guide coat lol
yea what he said,let the sandpaper do the work.on my roof i did the bodywork,primed it,blocked it with 400 dry on a long board,w/guide coat, and reprimed it,cut it real quick with the long board again finished it off with 500&600 wet.nice!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts