Body Mounts & Ride Height

Big Block Bob

Daily Driver
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
My Malibu is about 3/4" lower in rear on passenger side.
I have replaced rear springs but no change.
I am thinking body mounts (frame is good).
Are these hard to replace?
Any other suggestions on difference in ride height?

Thanks

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Have you checked for spring isolators? They can account for a change that small. I'd be leary about changing body mounts... they're not too difficult (just time consuming) if the floorpans/mounts are solid, but if it's rusty I would probably leave it be. Judging from your avatar it looks like it's in pretty good shape overall. You could soak them with some penetrating oil to be safe.

Big Block Bob

Daily Driver
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
Doober said:
Have you checked for spring isolators? They can account for a change that small. I'd be leary about changing body mounts... they're not too difficult (just time consuming) if the floorpans/mounts are solid, but if it's rusty I would probably leave it be. Judging from your avatar it looks like it's in pretty good shape overall. You could soak them with some penetrating oil to be safe.

That makes sense, and why would the entire left side sag almost an inch?
Hopefully an isolator, I will check that first, thanks.

Big Block Bob

Daily Driver
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
Doober said:
If both springs are replaced I can't say for sure. If it had the original springs I would just say it's just from age (how often do you drive your car without any passengers?).

I thought it was springs because they were original, but after installing new springs ride height was same (with passenger side slightly lower). That is why I thought rear body mounts might be worn.
Hardly ever have passengers in rear seat. Not sure, either body mounts or spring isolater, can't think of anything else?

TRZ Motorsports

Frequent Racer
Nov 8, 2005
Orlando, FL
www.trzmotorsports.com
Is it 3/4" lower on the passenger side with... or without you in the driver seat?

TRZ Motorsports

Frequent Racer
Nov 8, 2005
Orlando, FL
www.trzmotorsports.com
When we're setting up the G-bodies (for racing), we get the car to full weight including driver, and then try and make it level. I know this is for racing and yours is most likely a street / strip car, but take it for what its worth.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!