Brake light switch issue

vetmeister

Apr 20, 2010
Hello all,

I just found this site this evening. I have a 78 Malibu that I just recently purchased. It is a street/strip car, and I need some help figuring out exactly which hole the brake light switch goes in. There are two holes in the bracket at the top of the pedal. The top hole seems too big, but the bottom hole has a metal insert in it and it looks like it has tabs that stick out behind the bracket. The original switch had already been removed, and when I went to install the new one I ran into this issue. I just want to make sure that I get this right. Thanks for your help and expertise in advance. If I need to post a pic I will.

Thanks

kevind

Dragway Regular
Jan 7, 2009
Whitley City KY
Some GM cars and trucks use a sheet metal bracket insted of a nut.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
The one with the insert is likely the one. My '81 is like this. I put the switch in farther than it needs to be, and it gets pushed back far as is-needed when the pedal is released.

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL
I had to tie wrap mine to hold it tighter than the insert would hold it. When I launched the car, the stoplight switch would move back in the bracket. Everyone kept asking me why i was riding the brakes going down the track. Lee

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts