brakes to the floor

clutch92rs

Amateur Racer
Feb 24, 2004
glasgow, kentucky
I got in the Bu today and when I went to apply the brakes they went to the floor. It felt weird, so I eased around the block. The brakes would bottom out and on ocassion the front brakes would lock down. Me and my cousin decided to try and bleed the brakes but we got no fluid out of the rear brakes on the drivers side. The rear passenger side let out a little air. We looked a little closer under the car and noticed that the proportioning valve might be leaking. Just looking for any help or comments on what to do next. I have somewhat looked for a proportioning valve but have had no luck other than the one at gbodyparts.com. Any help is appreciated.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
The usual culprit is the master cylinder leaking internally, or leaking out the rear of the master cylinder.

Are you certain the the leak you see at the proportioning block is not fluid following the hard line to the proportioning block?

Another likely cause it a rotten rear brake line.

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
t5montecarlo said:
The usual culprit is the master cylinder leaking internally, or leaking out the rear of the master cylinder.

Are you certain the the leak you see at the proportioning block is not fluid following the hard line to the proportioning block?

Another likely cause it a rotten rear brake line.
x2

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
X3. Classic master cylinder bypass. Time for a new one!

Tommy

clutch92rs

Amateur Racer
Feb 24, 2004
glasgow, kentucky
would the proportioning valve on the gbodyparts website work with the 79 malibu classic that I have. I notice a little leakage from there and would rather just go ahead and replace it if it will work. If someone know where there is one cheaper I would appreciate it. thanks

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!