budget suspension questions.

my80bu

Weekend Racer
Oct 5, 2008
Belvidere IL
Okay I am building a budget car for 2009. I really dont have a whole lot of money to be dumping into the car and I really dont want to change it to much due to the class that I running in the car is already competitive in. I currently have drag bags and air shocks on the car but it really doenst help with weight transfer. I am looking at the competion engeinerring shocks and the trick rear springs. Will this set up work for what I want or do I need to go with something a bit better? Also I need to know what a good spring rate for the front would be. I am going to be using the same struts up front I just dont know what spring rate I want to run.

any info on what would be my best setup would be great. for those wondering i am running a sbc in a 12.50 index class

thanks

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Get rid of the air shocks. Stock springs up front and out back should be more than enough for a 12.50 car. Put in a decent set of control arms and you should be about done with it. The Comp shocks will be fine.

454RAT

Pro Stocker
Mar 19, 2004
Summerville, SC
like supe said keep it simple. Ive ran 1.47 60ft with stock springs and shocks and a anti-roll bar.

my80bu

Weekend Racer
Oct 5, 2008
Belvidere IL
well i do know I need some shocks up front the ones up there are trashed car has alot of bounce to it. One of the local guys said keep it the way it is but when you go down the street and the car bounces all over its not the best for driveability.

well it looks like i will be putting up the drag bags and air shocks up for sale.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
The air shocks are what's causing the bounce.

malibulvr

Pro Stocker
Mar 22, 2008
Pensacola, Fl. 32526
If the "drag bags" are Poly Air lift bags I would recommend leaving them installed. They seem to work well in drag racing applications. I do agree to ditch the air shocks though! Good luck with it!

my80bu

Weekend Racer
Oct 5, 2008
Belvidere IL
Supe said:

lol i only have the air shocks in the back its still the stock blown garbage up front that i have.

would the 2" drop spindles help in the weight transfer or no? I am new to the RWD game so any pointers would help.

A

Anonymous

i am using the trick springs and summit triple adjustable shocks

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
my80bu said:
Supe said:

lol i only have the air shocks in the back its still the stock blown garbage up front that i have.

would the 2" drop spindles help in the weight transfer or no? I am new to the RWD game so any pointers would help.

It would do just the opposite if anything.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts