Buick question

bukweet

Top Fueler
Mar 22, 2005
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Will a 252 intake fit a 231?
Looking to make it a 4bbl and I have one of those old Holley econo spread bore carbs that I could rebuild and stick on this. Anyone know the cfm of this thing?

thanks

bukweet

Darwinskeeper

Frequent Racer
Sep 18, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
I presume that you are talking about the Holley 4360 which looks like a low rent Quadrajet and not the 4165/4175 which were spread-bore versions of the Holley 4150 & 4160. My understanding is that the 4360 has 450cfm, a good rating for a V6.

According to Summit Racing the Edelbrock 5486 Performer intake manifold will fit both '78 and later 231 V6 and the 252 V6. It would seem reasonable that a stock 252 V6 manifold would fit a '78 and later 231. I'm guessing that the earlier 231s were odd fire and the '78 and later were even fire.

bukweet

Top Fueler
Mar 22, 2005
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Yep, it looks like a q-jet knock off. I found it on top of the 305 sitting in that junker wagon I have for a parts car.
I'm thinking that Holley along with a set of headers and a decent dual exhaust and my 3:42 gears will give me a "fix up" fix for now.
Might even cam it up a bit while I'm at it.

bukweet

guitargoalie

Amateur Racer
Nov 15, 2005
Central Mass
Yeah the 252 intake will absolutely fit. Same exact engines just a slightly larger bore on the 252.

If you ended up wanting one I still have an edelbrock intake for the buick.

bukweet

Top Fueler
Mar 22, 2005
Mississippi Gulf Coast
I was looking at the factory one because it was for a spreadbore.
Aren't the edelbrocks all square?

bukweet

guitargoalie

Amateur Racer
Nov 15, 2005
Central Mass
bukweet said:
I was looking at the factory one because it was for a spreadbore.
Aren't the edelbrocks all square?

bukweet

Yeah that's the only downside about the Edelbrock's. You can use a carb adaptor but it might not give you a ton of room for the air cleaner.

When I put the Edelbrock and a Holley 390CFM 4 barrel on my 231 I was pretty happy with the get up and go, until I burned a few valves that is! :lol:

You should be happy with your upgrades, throw a cam, lifters and a timing chain in while your at it and you'll have a nice torquey little engine.

Do you know about the oil pump end plates and such for taking care of the Buicks oil pressure problems?

bukweet

Top Fueler
Mar 22, 2005
Mississippi Gulf Coast
It has the pump with the deep gear set. Had it apart a few years back and it seems fine since. I really haven't driven it much but looking to change that soon.
I have a new set of gauges to install.
That will tell the tale on the oil pump.
Not planning on going fast, just planning on going.

bukweet

guitargoalie

Amateur Racer
Nov 15, 2005
Central Mass
Yeah I'm the same way about most of my cars so far.

Not to say I don't enjoy going fast it's not just priority, I seem to try and build my stuff for reliability and just having a clean look in the engine compartment.

All the little oil pump part is, is a machined iron spacer plate. It installs between the housing and the adaptor for the oil filter, just gives the gears a nice iron surface to wear on and keeps the tolerences closer since iron doesn't expand as much and actually girdles the aluminium nicely.

I have a soft spot for Buick motors if you can't tell!

bukweet

Top Fueler
Mar 22, 2005
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Dug out an old Buick V6 performance book I've had for years.
John Thawley did this book based on some old IMSA racing back in the day.
Lot's of test stuff from the one and only Smokey Yunick on carburated V6 Buicks.
That old 4360 I have was the great Smokey's choice at the time.
Might be old school tech but it didn't get much better than Yunick at the time.

bukweet

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!