Build my stock 79 10 bolt or buy or buy a built one?

ramjet malibu

Apr 23, 2013
lynwood,ca
So its my first time doing a complete differential i have changed spider gears only but im more than confident i could do the whole thing by that i mean swap in a posi unit bearings 28 spline axles and camaro disk brakes but on tge other hand a guy around here sells completely built diffs for only $500 what rout should i go with and sells them with your choice of 3.42s or 3.73s im going to swap my 305 with my crate ram jet and my turbo 350 with my 700r what is cheaper to do buy the diff built or build it my self, i seen 2 ls camaros today at the pick your part

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
If your gonna build a rear, spend the $$ once and get a 8.5, 12 bolt, 9" or one of the aftermarket rears. Don't waste your money on a 7.5, some have good luck with them but they may be a ticking time bomb.
I went with a 12 bolt for mine.

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
x2

ramjet malibu

Apr 23, 2013
lynwood,ca
Im not planning to race the thing either though i did think about doing a 12 bolt i had a 70 impala i was going to do the swap my friend told me he is doing that swap into his buick gn but hes doing a 9sec build i just want a daily better daily driver with the extra power for those anoying people at the stop light

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
By the time you factor in how much you would spend on doing the 7.5, you could spend just a little more and have a rear that will support more power. Cause we all want more later on. lol

ramjet malibu

Apr 23, 2013
lynwood,ca
Thanks for the advice, Bowtie your right we always want more later lol, i was once told when i was about 16yrs old (about 10yrs ago) you never finish a project car once it looks nice or just how you wanted the car to look something else pops in your mind

Grcrygtr44

Frequent Racer
Feb 1, 2013
Ontario Ny
Even a stock 8.5 to start out with would b a wise choice. Then u can upgrade as u wany

art

Amateur Racer
Aug 8, 2008
Mastic, New York 11950
Only "downside" if you will to buying a 8-1/2 is that they are usually pretty beat up by the time you finally get one. Of the two that I have purchased, both needed some work before I was satisfied with their condition. Some things to consider:
They are at least 28 years old.
Most have been leaned on.
The "upfront" cost to buy is at least $600. (around here)
If you already have a 7-1/2, the ring and pinion sets are reasonable. If used parts are cool with you, there are people on this board who can get you all of what you need and save you some coin. Granted, it will still be a 7-1/2 with that puny pinion gear, but for a daily with under 400 hp, you will be happy. Then save for that big rear that you know you want. Just my $.02.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!