Bumper Shock Mounts Question

erichevy

Daily Driver
Feb 7, 2011
Marshall MI
I have a compressed bumper mount shock on one side (both front and rear) and was wondering if the can be pulled out or if it needs replacing once compressed? There is no damage to the actual bumper itself. It's a 78 wagon and I assume the rear mounts are the same as the El Camino... can anyone confirm? Are the front shock mounts the same as all Malibus/El Caminos,Wagons? I need one front and one rear. Thanks!

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
hey erichevy,everytime i've worked on a car that has had one of those bumper shocks pushed in it was more than a 5mph accident so it was a no brainer to replace the shock in question.the point of them is in a very low speed bump it would take the hit and be the sacrifical part vs a frame rail etc.i think it would ok to use again,if it is showing signs of leaking oil or something then i'd say replace it.i've never owned a wagon but my elcamino has the bumper shocks in the front and in the rear the bumper mounts are a soild,non compressable version of whats in the front.hope this sheds some light for ya.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts