cable operated clutch (idea!)

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
Anyone ever thought of runing a cable operated clutch using a cable like this one...

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...925134+4294839069+4294822071+115&autoview=sku...

in place of the linkage or hydraulic operator?

I figure on the eyelet end it could be secured to the clutch pedal and firewall with an aftermarket quadrant kit for a mustang and then a simple bracket on the transmission behind the fork and used as a pull type. Just wrap it around underneath the driver's side floor and come in behind the fork. Or use it as a push style by just securing the eyelet to the pedal and a bolt to the firewall and then make a bracket on the bellhousing for the other end and poke it through the pushrod dimple on the fork and secure it. I figure it take decent pressure to push the automatic into gear, so I figure it could possibly handle the pressure to release the clutch.

I don't know, just a thought. Trying to make the whole thing simpler and cheaper to get away from the space stealing linkage and the leak potential hydraulic system. Let me know what you guys think.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
it's an interesting idea, but that cable won't deal with the stress of disengaging a clutch. You'd be better off trying to retrofit one from a Mustang.

Tommy

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
well the one's from a mustang are pull cables that pull on the fork forward...
the geometry setup won't work for GM's...

I figure if you get one that is like 8 of 10 or even 6 ft long, that it would reach around and be able to pull from the back... it's built to be a push cable, so it may be worth a try, and if not, then set it up as a pull... I know it could do that...

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
The Monza had a cable operated clutch that could be bolted in (either I4 or V8 bellhousing will work), but you still need to deal with the clutch pedal geometry as well as a special V8-Monza-only stepped flywheel (0.213 inches? removed from the outside edge), a special V8-Monza-only pressure plate, and a special V8-Monza-only cable (larger diameter than for I4/V6). You can easily machine the flywheel (been there/done that), but you cannot make the special pressure plate.

barnym17

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2008
ohio
Look in a speeway motors or Day motorsports catolog or check there websites they have cable operated clutch pedal assemblies for the stock GM bell comes complete with pedal cable etc about$150.00 just got to mount it in the car.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts