Cam or not

Jason80MC

Weekend Racer
Jun 11, 2012
Marlboro, NJ
Hello everyone, I just bought a used 350 chevy motor. The motor was in the car running and seemed to run well. It was very over carbed but idled good with no noises or smok, great oil pressure and temps were fine. The owner said it was rebuilt by previous owner but had zero specs on it. I can tell that the whole thing was apart, fresh rtv by all seals, i sanded the gray paint off the heads and block and it was the only color on there so leads me to believe the motor was apart and cleaned etc. While running it did not sound like there was any cam in there, was very smooth and quiet.

This is what I found

010 block
882 heads with reg stamped rockers and press in studs and look like stock springs
performer 2101 intake

I was debating changing the cam while its out of the car.
My setup, 80 Monte carlo, currently a 350 trans and 2.73 gears. hooker long tubes and 2.5" exhaust with x pipe I have 3.73 that will be going in the near future and then a 2004r when the 350 goes boom.

This is a street car that will use power brakes and AC

any suggestions?

lilbowtie

Pro Stocker
Oct 5, 2004
Canton Mi.
Not a better time for a cam change! You should keep in mind that your set-up needs to be a complete package to be happy. By that I mean the torque converter, and rear end need to be compatable w/ the cam specs. A bigger cam right now isn't going to help your bottom but since your going to change the rear its up to you. Intake and and exhaust work but don't know what converter you have.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Maybe I'm nuts, but last time I checked all SBC's have a cam... #-o :lol:

Sorry...

Tommy

Jason80MC

Weekend Racer
Jun 11, 2012
Marlboro, NJ
you guys are funny. So i think i am going to put the 3.73 rear in. Has anyone used one of the voodoo cams? Also, can I take 2 springs off and have them check and see if they will work with a mild cam?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Voodoo cams seem to be popular, same with the Xtreme Energy, I have one in my 350 and it's a bit of a screamer with Vortec heads.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts