Cam selection help

blue1980malibu

Daily Driver
Dec 10, 2010
Casey,Ia
I got an 80 malibu 2 door that currently has a 3.8 and turbo 200. In the last couple weeks I have managed to round up parts to do a SBC swap. I picked up a lower milage wrecked mid 80s olds 442. It is donating the 200r4 and 3.73 limited slip rear amongst other things. I also bought an 83 chevy truck over the weekend with 98 vortec 5.7 350 running and driving. Prior owner had swapped to a carb and such. I bought the truck for 500 cash pulled the motor and sold some parts off it, crushed the rest today so I currently have the motor on the stand for about 50 cash out of my pocket. Not a bad deal at all if you ask me. Anyways the motor is in great shape and has the 906 heads on it. I basically plan to clean it up and paint it and replace a few gaskets while it is out. I want swap a nicer cam in it. This the first time I have ever messed with a roller cam. I have a new Edelbrock performer RPM, Carter AFB 625 CFM, and ceramic coated header for it. I really don't wanna pull the heads but I know I well prolly have to swap the valve springs. Sorry for the long post but I am looking for advise in cam selection. I want it to run good and it is not a daily driver. Would like some lope at idle. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance

NEW2MALIBU

Dragway Regular
Mar 5, 2007
idaho
Jump onto Comp Cams and download CamQuest 6.0. You can play around with that for many cam choices.

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com
You should also find what the specs are on the cam in the motor right now.

Then work you way to the lift you want-

You should set a goal for the type of performance you want the car to do.

IF you want any kind of good drive ability do not pick a large duration can over 280 as it will just be a huge head mobile.

If your going racing every weekend and it is a ALL throttle NO transition drive (drag race) then I guess the big harry duration cam will work but you will need to upgrade every other drive line part too. stall will need to be way big too.

SO I would suggest a 274 280 284 advertised duration cam for a HOT STREET cam... No more. The less duration and MORE lift combo will give you MORE low end torque WHICH makes a street car a blast to drive.

Just some 2 cents hope it helps some in your choice. Jim

blue1980malibu

Daily Driver
Dec 10, 2010
Casey,Ia
I am looking at a GM Performance cam now. Should fit in the mix well. I just need to get a hold of the machine shop I always use and see what I need to make the heads work with it. The lift is a little much for the vortec heads without some mods done to them.

blue1980malibu

Daily Driver
Dec 10, 2010
Casey,Ia
Thats the cam I ordered this morning from my local chevy dealer. With my companies discount it was cheaper than ordering it from Summit and will be here tomorrow. I changed out the valve springs and retainers over the weekend. Some misc. gaskets and a new timing cover I will have it back together by this coming weekend. Now I just need the cash for some 1.6 rockers to take advantage of the cam.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts