Can anybody recommend a converter?

Goonbody

Amateur Racer
May 30, 2010
South St. Paul, MN
I'm gearing up to put my 700R4 into my wagon. I have a late 80's 700 to go in. I am wondering if I should do an aftermarket converter. I want lockup. The car is a cruiser with maybe a few passes at the strip. What converter brand and stall would you guys recommend? The rearend is a 7.5 with a Yukon posi unit with 3.42's.

Thanks for any help guys.
Ben

BillySS

Frequent Racer
Dec 13, 2009
Matawan,NJ
a nice 2000 stall sounds good for your cruiser with lockup. Go with a Hughes

TNTS79

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2006
Illiniois
I would go a little larger like a 2500 to 3000 depends on what cam you are running, but 3000 would give you room to add a larger cam if you want later... Keep in mind they will all be a bit tighter than they advertise...

JBreu

Frequent Racer
Jan 31, 2010
Livonia. New York
I just ordered and received my converter, 3200-3400 stall, from PTC for my 700r4...The head guy there, Kenny Ford, used to be at TCI. YOu will not be disappointed with them . http://WWW.PTCRace.Com

j&amotorsports

Amateur Racer
Apr 11, 2008
laurel springs nj
correct way is call a converter company, they will ask you some questions about you car. example what they ask me. what trans. Size of engine tq / hp level, weight of car, usage of it, gears tire size, if i was using any power adder. good luck John

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
j&amotorsports said:
correct way is call a converter company, they will ask you some questions about you car. example what they ask me. what trans. Size of engine tq / hp level, weight of car, usage of it, gears tire size, if i was using any power adder. good luck John
throwing darts at map is no way to pick a vacation,same with expen$ive car parts.spend ur money&time wisely call someone that knows whats going to work for your application.i hate doing things twice and having parts i can't use.

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
I agree, it's best to have someone that does this for a living Spec the TC.
Another good point is when you have a custom TC built most all TC Co.'s will provide at least 1 free restall if it's not correct.
Off the shelf TCs are famous for being too loose and inefficeint up top, "slippage". :(

Jbreu, have you installed your PTC? Need to see how it compares to the old one. 8-[ :D

Todd

JBreu

Frequent Racer
Jan 31, 2010
Livonia. New York
Todd AKA Retro,
It's on my long to do list, as soon as I do and get some numbers at the 1320' I'll post em!!!! Thanks again for your assistance!! :D

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!