Car bogs down

_Stylez

Daily Driver
Mar 23, 2015
As the title says my car bogs down when in gear and floored..... ive changed the fuel filter in the carb and the fuel pump looks newer (probably changed by previous owner) and I haven't found a in-line filter so the only thing I can really think of is trash in the tank maybe? does anyone have any ideas of why this happens?

engine: I think its a olds 305 5.0L with a 4 bbl Rochester carb.

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
I would bet the carb is trashed from old ethanol fuel. Or the accelerator pump isn't working properly. Or both.

_Stylez

Daily Driver
Mar 23, 2015
thanks you guys....now I have a direction to go with it. what and where is the accelerator pump? im sure the carb could use a rebuild also.... is that like a weekend thing I could do? is there a instruction manual on it? I have a manual for G body vehicles but haven't found a chiltons or Haynes manual on the 78-83 Chevrolet Malibu, it would be even better to have wagon manual but cant be too picky I guess lol.... ill poke around and see what I cant learn about these issues and how to correct them.... thanks again...

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
That carb is a qudrajet and is most likely computer controlled i.e. tps, mixture control sol etc. If you know nothing about carbs and from the sound of I'm assuming you dont. That carb is not for a beginner to tear into. You should really let someone look at that carb that knows about them. They can be tricky esp with ccc. Just shooting you straight here.

_Stylez

Daily Driver
Mar 23, 2015
thanks Ed..I found out its M4MV not sure if that makes a difference or makes your point. and yeah I don't know much about carbs as most of my cars have been fuel injected and foreign, but I try to learn what I can....

I ordered a rebuild kit today after noticing gas around the base of the carb, then as I was pulling the carb off, the fuel line twisted and wont come out at the fuel filter point (just changed the filter a lil over a week ago) and as I tried to get the line off at the fuel pump the metal just started to smooth out of at the nut.....so, I quit for today and going to regroup tomorrow after I get my metal snips out to cut the twisted line with and then try to get the parts out of the fuel pump and carb.... ill just be happy when I can afford the swap I want in a few months and then I can move on to other things on the car.... ill see if I cant take pics as I rebuild it... might be a fun lil thread...

plan B. buy a better carb in a few weeks along with the gas line and possibly a fuel pump. lol.... PEACE...

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
If your car older than 1981, it should not have a computer, unless it is a California car.

If it is a CCC Quadrajet, you will need special calibration tools to set the height of the primary needles and a few other pieces (it has been 20 years since I had mine apart). You should also buy the special mini holesaw to remove the mixture screw caps. There are a few other tools you will need to properly set up the carburetor before first fire. Then you need a dwell meter, a volt meter, and a tach to fine tune the mixture control solenoid dwell and set the throttle position sensor. Read a lot first.

_Stylez

Daily Driver
Mar 23, 2015
Thanks for all the help.... I broke a screw while taking the rochester apart so I threw it out... I bought a rebuilt Holley 4160 to replace the one I broke.. I know I need a adapter for it but what else do I need to install a aftermarket carburetor?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!