Carb / engine smoking

jwelshdesign

Daily Driver
Sep 14, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
i have a freshly rebuilt 385 stroker with a new AED 750HO carb. Recently the car has been smoking and when i pulled the plugs 3 were fouled. I swapped the power valve which was a 4.5 for a 6.5. Also changed the plugs out for fresh ones. But I am still getting some smoke. Oil looks good and coolant levels are fine.

The combo is: 385 stroker, 9.5:1. World products torquer 305 heads, mild cam, air gap intake, 1 inch 4 hole spacer, msd ignition. Timing is set at 16 initial. auto lite 25s gape at .050

Question is if the carb is too big for the combo will it keep fouling plugs and smoking? The idle screws are out 1.5 .

any help would be appreciated

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
That carb's not too big. When you say it's smoking what do you mean? Black? White? Blue? Accelerating? Decelerating? Idling?

Tommy

jwelshdesign

Daily Driver
Sep 14, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
Tommy, The smoke was a grayish / white smoke and smelled like gas, not oil. it was smoking all the time. I pulled the plugs and somehow they were gaped wrong. They were actually gaped at .30 and 3 of them were fouled. So now I gaped the plugs at .45 and replaced the power valve with a 6.5. At idle i am pulling 12-13 vacuum. Also the timing is noes 16 initial where before it was too low at around 8. I assume all these factors lead to the smoking.

I only replaced all the stuff this weekend so I haven't put many miles on it to see how much its cleaned up. BUT, on my quick cruise I am still having the issue where when I floor it the car feels like it shut off and I have to back off the gas for it to recover. Basically a flat spot when i stab the gas.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts