Converting a 9 in rear end?

slownugly

Daily Driver
Mar 30, 2010
Cookeville, Tn
Hey guys, Ive acquired a 9 in rear end for my malibu wagon and was wondering what the best and least expensive way would be to convert it to GM brakes and GM bolt pattern? Also whats a good way to setup the rear end to mount the new brackets? Any help is appreciated. thanks

slownugly

Daily Driver
Mar 30, 2010
Cookeville, Tn
I was also reading that you cant use the stock driveshaft...What driveshaft should I use? What other problems will I run into when doing the swap? Thanks again

barnym17

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2008
ohio
Stock drive shaft will work if you use the lincoln drive flange on the rearend and on the drive shaft.It is shorter than the standard 9 inch yoke.

Hitman

Dragway Regular
Oct 15, 2004
OKC
You need a jig to mount the new brackets in the proper place. You can use weld on housing ends that have the chevrolet pattern, and use 3.150 bearings. Then you get axles with Chevy pattern.

Once it's in, then you measure for a new driveshaft.

Robert1320

Pro Stocker
slownugly said:
Hey guys, Ive acquired a 9 in rear end for my malibu wagon and was wondering what the best and least expensive way would be to convert it to GM brakes and GM bolt pattern? Also whats a good way to setup the rear end to mount the new brackets? Any help is appreciated. thanks

If this is a factory 9" keep in mind the center section it is weak as water.
You may be money ahead to just a Moser housing.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts