Converting column to lever lock (manual trans)

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
So there is a guy that used to be on Pennock's Fiero Forum by the name of Jazzman. He wrote quite a comprehensive bit on the GM steering column...
http://www.diyfiero.com/dropspot/Jazzman_Steering_Rack_Rebuild.pdf

It appears to me the 'bucket' more or less interchanges, is it possible to swap a lever lock style (where you have to push down on a lever to fully turn the key back & lock the column) for a manual trans-correct setup? I believe it would be possible, I've seen several manual trans-equipped Fieros at the yard, and I would only be using the portion of the column that is required for the lever lock setup.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
The upper part of the column sleeve (or tube) is unique to a manual transmission column. The lower portion of the sleeve is also unique to a manual transmission column.

The upper portion of a tilt column sleeve is different from that of a straight column.

The lock housing is the same for automatic and manual transmission columns.

The lower shrouds are different lengths for different GM bodies.

Depending upon your fabrication skills, you can convert an automatic tilt column to a manual transmission tilt column; I have done it.

The first picture is the upper portion of an original tilt manual transmission column. The second picture shows where I had to weld in some small parts to fill in the areas that the automatic transmission column requires to be open. Without filling in the open areas properly, the lower shroud can be rotated (like on an automatic transmission column) rather than being fixed.

The third picture shows a patch I welded to the lower portion to cover up the window used for the shift lever to make it look like an original manual transmission column. The fourth picture shows the finished exterior (before paint) of the lower portion (I used a skim coat of JB Weld because that is what I had at hand).

The patches were cut from another column, so they had the proper curve and thickness.

oem-tilt-upper-tube-03.jpg

welded-upper-tube-to-convert-to-manual-tilt-01.jpg

welded-lower-tube-to-convert-to-manual-tilt-02.jpg

welded-lower-tube-to-convert-to-manual-tilt-01.jpg

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Sweet. So would the internal parts interchange? From all the columns I've opened up, from the '78 all the way to my '92 pickup look the same... I'm making my assumption from that. The way GM did their interchangability it wouldn't surprise me. I think if I do scrounge a manual trans column for parts I would probably get an S10 one though since they're much more plentiful than Fiero parts (and I have my F'ro brethren to think of ;)).

oldtinsmith

Dragway Regular
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
Doober,
How about a step by step, picture by picture of your steering column modifications? Seems to me this would be a great "sticky" thread!

Doug

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
You can also separate the two halves of the sleeve and replace the upper half with an OEM piece from a vehicle with manual transmission.

The rest of the parts are the same among the tilt or straight families. If you have 1982 or later, the wiper switch has to match the car.

I am told that an S10 lock housing is rotated compared to other vehicles, so beware. I have not validated this statement.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Ok. Well along with converting to lever lock, I would also be doing the stalk-mounted wiper switch. It's already on the column and it feels more natural there because it's the only thing I've ever known besides the '81 (and newer cars with the lever-activated switch on the right side of the column).

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!