Could engine be KNOCKING ???"S

dickeymoore

Dragway Regular
Mar 19, 2007
Atlanta,Ga.
I just got 2 used Dynomax super turbo mufflers installed on my 1986 Monte Carlo SS(the mufflers had like black corrosion in them)and when I shook them you could hear it rattle around which I tried to blow all of it out but all did not come out,after the mufflers were installed it sounded great but now when I crank the car and rev the gas and let of the gas it sounds like the engine is KNOCKING when I let off the gas,was not doing this before,any HELP.THANKS :cry: :cry: :cry:

Malibuwagon80

Dragway Regular
Aug 8, 2007
North Jersey
Oil pressure vary alot from idle to under load? Get a mechanics stethoscope and listen with it.. A long screwdriver or socket extension can also be used. If you suspect a rod or a main bearing don't run it too much= more damage.

7d8ss

Amateur Racer
Jan 29, 2005
Lexington, Ohio
Could be an exhaust leak or the loose baffles in the mufflers. I would lean toward the baffles. Hope it's as simple as that. Good luck.

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
exhaust noises can sound alot like engine problems. check the oil for any metallic particles, but id lean towards the mufflers

dickeymoore

Dragway Regular
Mar 19, 2007
Atlanta,Ga.
I drained and strained the old oil and it had no metal particles in it and even cut open the K&N oil filter and it didn't have a lot of particles in it,changed oil and oil pressure is at 60 cold and 25 after warm up,I'm trhinking the mufflers are BAD.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
well,@this point,the mufflers are bad to begin with get new ones and see what happens.my two cents.i'm pulling for ya

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
You did say the mufflers rattled before you installed them... :roll:

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts