Couple engine assembly questions

MISFITmalibu63

MalibuRacing Junkie
Feb 21, 2004
The Sticks... Tewksbury MA
so, gonna do my top end rebuild in a few weeks once i get some tools and odds and ends.

so, first. im using head studs. do i use thread sealer when i screw them into the block? and then use oil on the threads where the nut goes?

since im running a solid roller, what do i use for a break in lube on the cam? do i need any? im also running a mech fuel pump.

also, can i get by with a stamped steel timing cover, or should i switch to a cast aluminum one? (regarding camshaft end play)

im sure i'll think of more down the road too. thanks!

80Grand_LeMans

Dragway Regular
Jun 4, 2008
Peabody MA
Im going with the cloyse adjustable timing cover with my solid mech roller. It seems like I will need to be adjusting it a lot and it will help if I can leave everything on while doing so. It's 115 bucks tho! #-o

D&A Machine Shop

Frequent Racer
Yes use sealer on the threads in the block, I like the permatex teflon paste, if you have arp studs then use the arp lube on the nuts and washers if not arp then use a good assembly lube.
For the roller cam you dont need a breakin lube but you do need to soak the lifters in motor oil so the rollers get saturated.
For the cover the stock cover will be to thin and will flex, I would use a cast aluminum cover with a roller button or a nylon button, you will need .010 thousands or less for the cam thrust.
If it is a steel cam core then don't forget to change your distributor gear to either a melonized gear or a bronze gear.
Hope this helps.
Andy

MISFITmalibu63

MalibuRacing Junkie
Feb 21, 2004
D&A Machine Shop said:
Yes use sealer on the threads in the block, I like the permatex teflon paste, if you have arp studs then use the arp lube on the nuts and washers if not arp then use a good assembly lube.
For the roller cam you dont need a breakin lube but you do need to soak the lifters in motor oil so the rollers get saturated.
For the cover the stock cover will be to thin and will flex, I would use a cast aluminum cover with a roller button or a nylon button, you will need .010 thousands or less for the cam thrust.
If it is a steel cam core then don't forget to change your distributor gear to either a melonized gear or a bronze gear.
Hope this helps.
Andy

got the thread sealer, gonna get the ARP lube when i make my next order from summit for a good timing chain cover. Already got the bronze gear for my MSD distributor. if im running a mech fuel pump will i need break in lube for the bronze tipped pushrod i have?

when i install the studs into the block, do i just tighten them til they bottom out? and do i need anything for the head gaskets?

tiedyemike8

Frequent Racer
Oct 28, 2009
Naperville, IL
MISFITmalibu63 said:
got the thread sealer, gonna get the ARP lube when i make my next order from summit for a good timing chain cover. Already got the bronze gear for my MSD distributor. if im running a mech fuel pump will i need break in lube for the bronze tipped pushrod i have?

when i install the studs into the block, do i just tighten them til they bottom out? and do i need anything for the head gaskets?

Definitely use the teflon paste, and not the tape. The tape will leak. You can get a steel cover that has a reinforcement welded on it, I have used them and they work fine, about $20-30. Lube the cam with motor oil as you put it in. I have never used a mech. pump with a roller, but some moly grease on either end of the pushrod certainly wouldn't hurt. Head gaskets go on dry unless they're copper.

tiedyemike8

Frequent Racer
Oct 28, 2009
Naperville, IL
MISFITmalibu63 said:

Definitely use the teflon paste, and not the tape. The tape will leak. You can get a steel cover that has a reinforcement welded on it, I have used them and they work fine, about $20-30. Lube the cam with motor oil as you put it in. I have never used a mech. pump with a roller, but some moly grease on either end of the pushrod certainly wouldn't hurt. Head gaskets go on dry unless they're copper.

MISFITmalibu63

MalibuRacing Junkie
Feb 21, 2004
tiedyemike8 said:
MISFITmalibu63 said:

thanks!

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
D&A Machine Shop said:
Hope this helps.
Andy
does he have to run a special fuel pump pushrod that has the a bronze or brass on the tip because hes running a mech fuel pump with said steel cam?or am i missing something here?it's happened before! ](*,)

MISFITmalibu63

MalibuRacing Junkie
Feb 21, 2004
melloelky said:
D&A Machine Shop said:
Hope this helps.
Andy
does he have to run a special fuel pump pushrod that has the a bronze or brass on the tip because hes running a mech fuel pump with said steel cam?or am i missing something here?it's happened before! ](*,)

yup, got a brass tipped fuel pump pushrod ready to go

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts