Cylinder heads for new build 383

willtow

Daily Driver
Jul 9, 2012
Alright I'm finishing up my new (on shelf spare ) for my 79 malibu it's a 383 all forged balanced eagle rotating assm including pistons installed in a 92 4 bolt 350 block my cam is a hyd roller 565/580 lift 243/253 300/306 duration I've got 2 sets of heads setting here first a set of edelbrock aluminum rpm heads which are 185cc intake 64cc chambers 2.02/1.6 valves the other set is dart platinum iron eagles steel heads 200cc intake 64cc chambers 2.08/1.6 valves both are set up for my cam motor will be 11.2.1 compression with either the car the engine is for sees more track time than anything 3200lbs with me in it 4.56 gear running through a powerglide Trans and a 10 inch tire I've come up with different ideas why one might be better than the other the biggest appealing thing about the edelbrock heads are weight gonna be 50lbs lighter than the eagles but most builders are saying the performance of the eagles will overcome the weight gain give me you thoughts can make a decision on what to do gonna let you make the decision for me

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
With the right gas, the dart heads.

lilbowtie

Pro Stocker
Oct 5, 2004
Canton Mi.
Since you asked for some thoughts I'll give you mine. That a stout motor and should run at least 11 flat. With the 4.56 and 28 tires your going to have to turn 7000. The cam isn't good for that and Edelbrocks will be signing off after 6000.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Ditto... the Edelbrocks would be good for the street though, just about the right size, with less cam though (up to about 6500rpm operating range).

willtow

Daily Driver
Jul 9, 2012
lilbowtie said:
Since you asked for some thoughts I'll give you mine. That a stout motor and should run at least 11 flat. With the 4.56 and 28 tires your going to have to turn 7000. The cam isn't good for that and Edelbrocks will be signing off after 6000.

The only drawback to the darts where the weight wish they where aluminum so if/when I put this in my car I won't be adding the extra lbs to it...but there new built ready to go so I'm going with them...i run 1/8th mile the current combo with glide transmission I shift at 6200rpm and cross line at 5500rpm

lilbowtie

Pro Stocker
Oct 5, 2004
Canton Mi.
I really wouldn't worry about 45-50 lbs your only talking .005 on your time slip. The alu heads are a great match for your cam for the 1/8th and be strong through the mid range. Did the Dart heads get worked on the 200cc heads only have 2.02 valves??

willtow

Daily Driver
Jul 9, 2012
lilbowtie said:
I really wouldn't worry about 45-50 lbs your only talking .005 on your time slip. The alu heads are a great match for your cam for the 1/8th and be strong through the mid range. Did the Dart heads get worked on the 200cc heads only have 2.02 valves??

I'm pretty well set on the dart heads at this point the heads where ordered direct from dart for the big valves then send to a well known speed/machine shop for valves spring setup etc I've got all the paperwork from the person who had them built he had 1500.00 in them .... He had had them built for a 396 stroker sbc that was gonna run a 550 lift hyd roller 10.1 compression I got a chance to trade for these after he wrecked the car he was building the motor for there still wrapped in paper in boxes new other than being built by machine shop there setup for a 600 hyd roller and my edelbrocks are .570 max lift factory springs I figure the darts are gonna out perform the edelbrocks overall I talked with crane and comp as well as a couple others and spec'd out my build most recommend a similar cam so I have had good luck with howards cams over the years and have had them spec 3-4 cams for me that worked good so I took there advise on this one they said if I was gonna go solid roller they would spec a good bit bigger cam for my combo but I'm stuck on hyd cams so that's what I run ..... My current set up I talked with you about it late last year couldn't get it below 8.00 mark had howards spec a new cam which wasn't much bigger than what I had they said it work a bit better w 210cc heads I'm running so I went with it and swapped to e85 car goes 7.20s now it's amazing what a lil bit will do on a cam .....

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts