Daughter's Daily

bukweet

Top Fueler
Mar 22, 2005
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Need some opinions for my daughter's daily ride.
Looking for a moderatly priced tire for her 03 Stratus.
205-60-16.
Snow and ice is not an issue here!

Quiet car, looking for quiet ride and some tread mileage.

Let me know what you know.

Thanks,
bukweet

cttandy

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Tn
I have a preference to Yokohama tires on my DD. They were good, have excellent traction, and have a great selection of different treads.

malibulvr

Pro Stocker
Mar 22, 2008
Pensacola, Fl. 32526
I am seeing good things from the Kumho and Hankook brands. They are both private label tires that offer very high quality for a lot less than the "name brand" versions. Kumho offers the KR21 that has a 85K rating, and also the KR22 that has a 100K rating. I have sold lots of the KR21 tires and had absolutely zero complaints, and fixing to put a set of the KR22's on one of my Brother's vehicles. The Yokahama brand tires are usually good quality but depending on the application can be a little pricey.

axisg

Frequent Racer
May 13, 2008
YYZ ( Toronto )
I have always had good luck going thru CL or Kijiji. Typically I can pick up a set of wheels and tires already mounted for $200.00 or less. This year I bought 4 Firestone snows for wifeys car with 80% tread mounted to buick rims for $150.00.

When buying new tires I have always found General to be one of the better ones without having to go off-shore.

cttandy

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Tn
malibulvr said:
I am seeing good things from the Kumho and Hankook brands. They are both private label tires that offer very high quality for a lot less than the "name brand" versions. Kumho offers the KR21 that has a 85K rating, and also the KR22 that has a 100K rating. I have sold lots of the KR21 tires and had absolutely zero complaints, and fixing to put a set of the KR22's on one of my Brother's vehicles. The Yokahama brand tires are usually good quality but depending on the application can be a little pricey.

Yeah, guess I am spoiled, I get them wholesale though a friend.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Whatever you do DONT buy Continentals! I've had some bad experience with some of the cheaper General passenger car tires, but the truck tires seem to be ok. Cooper's a great brand, plus they come with free road hazzard and flat repairs :) JMO.... Oh and Michellins are WAYYY overpriced.

cttandy

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Tn
I ran some Falken tires on my ex-wife's car, my Moms car, and a set on my yukon xl. Don't remember the particular one I used on the cars, it was a direction tread pattern. They didn't wear wonderful, only got about 25K out of them, but they stuck to the road like absolute GLUE.

Got them from discount tire for under $100 a tire.

cttandy

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Tn
LINKY

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?tc=FALHH3&c=1&rcz=37172&pc=28869&ar=60&rf=true&cf=false&rd=16&sw=false&rc=TNNINT&cs=205

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
I used to have an '88 Civic hatchback with some integra rims and 195/60/15 and those same Falkens. Can you say go-cart! Didnt wear well, but like you said, stuck like glue and driven hard :D Plus the tires only ran me about $50 each IIRC

cttandy

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2009
Springfield, Tn
StreetBu said:
I used to have an '88 Civic hatchback with some integra rims and 195/60/15 and those same Falkens. Can you say go-cart! Didnt wear well, but like you said, stuck like glue and driven hard :D Plus the tires only ran me about $50 each IIRC

We changed out my Mom's 96 Lumina from the original 15 inch steel wheels and P205/70R15's to the same year Monte Carlo 16x7 5 spoke wheels with those Falken P235/55R16. The car was positively glued to the ground. The first time she drove the car after I had them put on, she couldn't believe how much better the car felt. She said she felt far safer in the car.

Not to mention 16 inch aluminum wheels look far better then wheel cover clad steel 15 inch wheels.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!