DEAD CYLINDER :(

holtjohn

Frequent Racer
Oct 15, 2008
so I did a compression test on my race motor that I built a couple of years ago. The motor never ran like I thought it should have my best time was a 12.8 at 110mph. The motor is a 355 flat top with 10.5 to 1 comp. trickflow super 23 heads, comp xe284h cam, victor jr intake, 750 demon, msd pro billet and 1 3/4 long tubes open. The transmission was a th350 with a 3000 stall and 4.10 gears in a 3000 pound car. I allways thought that it should have put the car into the mids 11's but I was like well maybe im wrong. I have been getting the motor ready for this season so i decided to do a compression test oin the motor and #1 hole came in at 30 psi while 4 others came in at 180psi then I was so pissed that I quit testing at that point and the headers got in the way. I tested the rocker arms to make sure one wasnt to tight, they were just right, then i watched the cam to make sure it wasnt flat, nope it moved the rockers just fine. So now im all sad, and I dont get it the motor doesnt smoke at all so I dont get how it could be the rings. PLEASE HELP!!!

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Then, your rings are not likely to be the problem. The next thing to check is the valves. Have you tried loosening up the rockers a bit and then checking the compression?

JamesC459

Amateur Racer
Mar 30, 2004
fitzwilliam NH
Next thing to do is a leakdown test. It may lead to bent valves.

holtjohn

Frequent Racer
Oct 15, 2008
see the weird thing is that the engine runs fine, I figure with a bent vavle it would run like crap. I did a vacuum test also and it sits pretty solid a around 10 also.

holtjohn

Frequent Racer
Oct 15, 2008
see I thought that to so I took it out and put the long tread adapter on it, then I tried with teflon and every which way I think of and the same thing 30 psi. I tested it about 10 times.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts