Did I "F" up ?

lt1 kenobi

Amateur Racer
Dec 24, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Ok so I was reading through some stuff and saw you are not supposed to install a balancer w/a hammer... well I didn't I used a brass mallet and wood... this was a few weeks ago and the motor is in the car and running fine... but now I'm scared shitless. Way to make sure I'm ok?

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
Oh hell i always put them on that way for the longest time, it's not the proper way but a couple times isn't gonna hurt.

lt1 kenobi

Amateur Racer
Dec 24, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I didn't think it would just wanted to make sure... I've seen people do it.. and this is the first motor I put together myself and so I did it... whoops.... I guess if it was gonna fly apart it would've done it by now.

HP JUNKEY

Dragway Regular
Oct 30, 2008
Buffalo.NY
Like lilbowtie said, Check your end play in the crank. Cranks have a "thrust bearing" at the rear section of the crank, when a crank is put in place you have to "snug" all the main caps and "push, pry, or wack" the crank towards the front of the block. Torque all the main cap bolts and check your Crank end play. By installing the Balancer with a "pound it on" method you will push the crank to the "back' of the block making the thrust bearing touch the rear of the block journal surface, causing excessive wear and possibly misaligning the main caps. It does sound a little scary but the old timers used to pound on balancers all the time. Here is some reading about thrust bearings and their role in a crank. I think it will be O.K.
http://www.4secondsflat.com/Thrust_bearing_failures.html

Brian79

Frequent Racer
Aug 21, 2008
Wataga, IL
Ok so the "pounding it on" method is wrong. What is the correct way on installing it?

HP JUNKEY

Dragway Regular
Oct 30, 2008
Buffalo.NY
OR this one,,Sears Stores are everywhere,,,
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/ProductDisplay?partNumber=00960602000P&storeId=10153&sName=Auto+Specialty+Tools&psid=SHOPZILLA01&vName=Tools&cName=Auto&catalogId=12605&sid=IDx20070921x00003c

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Not only does banging it on possibly damage the thrust bearing, it dislodges the elastomeric ring on the hub. If you hit the outside ring it can also throw the dameper out of true. Either one can cause the outside ring to separate from the hub on the damper. If you're lucky it'll only spin & throw your timing marks off. If you're unlucky it comes off or explodes!!

Tommy

Damon

Pro Stocker
Feb 7, 2005
Philly Area
While it's certainly not the preferred method there are a lot of motors out there running around just fine with "beaten on" balancers. Including a few of mine back in the old days.

It's definitely not "guaranteed engine death" or anything that extreme. I probably built my first 5 or 6 engines before I even knew there WAS a proper tool for installing them!

Just that next time, please go get or rent a proper install tool. Not only is it the right way to do it, it's also SO much easier with the right tool you'll kick yourself for not getting one sooner. Save the BFH for making floorpan clearance for header collectors! ;)

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts