Differentials! Detroit Locker?

Jul 13, 2010
I resto-modded an '81 Malibu, and use it as a Saturday-night cruiser, and I'd like to be able to really boil the tires down and have the car hook up at the occasional drags.

I'm about to get a ford 9" and all the trimmings, but I can't decide on a diff.
I'm worried that a limited slip/posi unit wouldn't provide the positive "both tires powered" feel.

I want a Detroit Locker, but I'm kinda afraid: exactly how much push will it give through corners? I am going to build up the suspension so that it's able to cut some corners and not feel like a boat, but I'm worried that I could really lose it in the turns with a Locker. Safety first... it's a street-driven car. Also, just how loud are those things?

big gear head

Daily Driver
Nov 3, 2010
Central City, KY
I have a locker in my truck and I drive it to work about 57 miles every day. No problems with it pushing. It does want to push a little in snow, but it isn't bad. I had a locker in my Camaro for years and it was also fine. The do pop and jerk some, but not bad. The only reason that I took the locker out of my Camaro is to test the new Duragrip for the 9 inch Ford.

If you want a locker I recommend that you check out the Grizzly Locker. It's an improved version of the Detroit Locker and it has a $2000 replacement warranty with it, so if you can break it they will replace any other parts that it breaks up to $2000.

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
I have a 9" with a detroit locker. I haven't noticed it pushing around corners because i go RRRREEEEAAALLY slow around corners because the dumb thing is so loud that it sounds like it is going to blow up if i have any speed whatsover in a corner. Mine's brand new but its wickedly loud. I even emailed STrange about it because thats where i got it but they said thats normal. I would try a trutrac or the above mentioned locker.
brian

big gear head

Daily Driver
Nov 3, 2010
Central City, KY
Mine wasn't a big deal. It would pop loud sometimes when taking off from a stop, but not very often. Most of the time it was quiet. My car is a 4 speed, and lockers make more noise with manual transmission. I put one in a customer's Camaro, which is also a 4 speed, and it was a little louder, but still not a problem. I've still got mine and I will probably put it back in sometime with another set of gears. I've got a spare nodular case and Daytona pinion housing, so I'll probably just build another complete chunk with the locker. The Grizzly Locker is suppose to have several improvements over the Detroit Locker. I haven't installed one yet, but they have that $2000 warranty on them right now.

lurchsmalibu

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2005
Lakeland, Florida
If it has the word DETROIT in it, it's gonna be an obnoxious badazz! :lol: \:D/

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
If you're looking to be able to take corners with any speed, you DON'T want a locker. It'll be VERY easy to get it sideways under power in a turn. You're better off with an LSD.

Tommy

big gear head

Daily Driver
Nov 3, 2010
Central City, KY
Yea, it's hard to build a car for drag racing and corners. You have to compromise. The Truetrac would be better for corners, but it might give you problems when drag racing. The locker is much better for drag racing, but can cause problems in corners. Which one is more important?

swapmeetjunkbu

Amateur Racer
Nov 9, 2008
N. Iowa
I like the locker. As far as noise goes between my flowmaster 40's and loud tunes I don't even notice the clicking. I like the positive feel of the hook. Used to have clutch type for street/strip and worked ok until I put on street drag radials and the clutches got worn. I had to ease out at the lights at the strip or it would go peg leg on me. No problems with the locker except it can get real squirrely when the streets are wet and you over power. Should take it easy on wet roads anyway.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!