DIY knock sensors

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I've been considering this just for peace of mind. Has anyone else built one? So far what I've seen it's mostly been the 4-cylinder/forced indution types that've done it. It appears it can be as simple as connecting a pair of headphones and it will be easier to hear (should you want to go that route). Another way (I may try this one) is simply to attach an amplifier to the sensor and hook up a speaker.

I don't know if I'm inclined enough yet to go this route, but I may build an audio level meter with a potentiometer to trim the actual input level.

Knock sensors are actually tuned to a specific frequency range. I found a formula to figure this.
Detonation frequency = 900 / 3.14 * cylinder radius (in meters)

So for a 350 (4" bore), 900 / 3.14 * 0.0508m = 5642Hz. You would need to build a bandpass filter for this (I think 5000-6000Hz should be sufficient).

barnym17

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2008
ohio
Is there any way you could use a stock knock sensor ? use the output from it to drive your warning system?I think it produces a voltage when it senses knock.

barnym17

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2008
ohio
Very intresting project I will do some checking at work, if the output is voltage it could be used to drive a warning light.

dev1360

Frequent Racer
Dec 22, 2006
East Alton, IL
Awesome idea, and a good post. It would be very cool.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts