do i need adj lower rear control arms?

madmaxx57

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2010
DURAND IL
i cant seem to find a definitive answer on this..here goes 450 hp 383 in a 78 malibu 8.5 with 4:11's drag radials...i know i will most likely need the adjustable uppers..do i really need the adjustable lowers?..are these mainly for faster cars??..before i order i would like to know if they will be needed at my level..this is mainly a drag car but will be driven to and from the track.. thanks for the input

Malibuwagon80

Dragway Regular
Aug 8, 2007
North Jersey
I have iceman boxed lowers and adjustable lowers. Seems to work fine I've been 10.80's with 1.49 60 ft's. So far so good!

micknick1

Amateur Racer
Dec 9, 2007
NJ
I would go with a good set of lowers that are boxed. I have a new set of upper metcos I am selling they were just used to mock up my car. I am looking for $275 or $280 paypal shipped to your door.

madmaxx57

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2010
DURAND IL
now i see boxed and tubular lowers , do they work the same ?..or is one better?..thanks
guys

NEW2MALIBU

Dragway Regular
Mar 5, 2007
idaho
I boxed my uppers and lowers. Stock arms. Same 450+ hp 383. 9" w/ 3.70's. Car runs 12.50's. Best 60' was 1.79. I guess I will work on that. Has never had any wheel hop....at all. Foot braking, just off idle (1500rpm). Why don't you just try boxing your stock arms first. It's cheap. If that doesn't seem to work for you then proceed with the higher dollar items.

DSCF1735.jpg

madmaxx57

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2010
DURAND IL
time..is not on my side..lol..if i did use stock boxed arms..i would at very least put in urethane bushings..so by the time i mess around with a boxing my stock ones and put new bushings in it..my luck would somehow have a need for the adjustable uppers etc...hey i'm cheap, dont get me wrong..but somethings i only want to do once..even if it costs me a few more dollars..this is one of them.i'm installing the 8.5 and changing the arms at the same time.but hey your car is very similar to my setup..i will also be footbraking it..i;m hoping to put some air under those front tires!!..thanks for the input!!

NEW2MALIBU

Dragway Regular
Mar 5, 2007
idaho
I chose to use the rubber bushings, because I also drive mine to the track (didn't want to deal with the squeaking). Urethane body bushing tho. 16 miles each way. I'm gonna hit mine a little harder this year and try to cut down my 60' time, so like you I might have to do something if it doesn't hook. Just plopped a 250hp plate on mine but will probably only spray 150hp max.

madmaxx57

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2010
DURAND IL
yea i have a 30 mile trip to the track one way..i have poly in my 72 wagon..and it squeaks..i cant run faster than 12.50 to still run the street class..just curious what carb are you running?

NEW2MALIBU

Dragway Regular
Mar 5, 2007
idaho
I currently have a Holley 4150 street hp. Not sure if this is gonna work out with the nitrous tho. I have had good luck with it, seems to perform well.

NitrousCarb-1.jpg

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!