drag radials vs slicks

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
my ET Street radials are about due to be replaced. they've been great....no complaints here. I was planning to get the new ET street pro radials, but have also been considering going with bias ply slicks with tubes. wondering if there would be any benefit to going that route....so I thought I'd start a discussion to gather some info.

car info:

nothing crazy...3,000 lbs or so, nothing real fast. runs's high 11's, 60' around 1.62-1.65. 115 MPH in the 1/4 mile.

any thoughts or opinions?

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
if you drive it on the street lots and don't street race then i would get the radials. It will handle way better.

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
In that case use E.T. drags.

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
If you weren't having any traction issues with the Gen 1 ET Street radial then you'll be pretty pleased with the 3754X pro tire.

I haven't run a bias ply tire for many years now, no plans to go back. Car will be quicker on the radial as well.

if you run on tracks where prep isn't very good, then the bias will be more consistent.

Grcrygtr44

Frequent Racer
Feb 1, 2013
Ontario Ny
I'd stay with the radials. I used to haul slicks in the back of my wagon then change them at the track since I drove it on the street. Well I finally said F that (too much work and I was lazy! Lol) and I didn't really like the instability of slicks so I tried them. I've been running them for 7-8 yrs and will never change. Started with the 275s then went to the 295/55(27.8") since they are like 1 1/2 more tread path. and now after a small rear frame notch I'm on a 295/65(30" tall) With a 3.5 Bs 8" rim. Rolled 1/4 lip. 60's in the 1.40s Running 1/4 mile in the 10.40s.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 2,512

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
my car's pretty consistent with the radials now. if there was zero chances of any gains by going to an e/t drag, I'd probably stay with the radials. I wondered if there was a weight difference (slicks being lighter), and if tire growth with the slicks is a factor down-track. if yes to either, then would there be gains? maybe I'm splitting hairs here....but you know how it is....trying to get anything I can out of my car!

knightrider955

Daily Driver
Jan 11, 2012
Lakeview,MI
So why are you running street radials on a Strip only car?? Im running 28/10.5/15 ET Drags on my Malibu and Love them. The sidewalls wrinkle up at take off and shoot the car like a slingshot!! I do have them tubed and screwed and wouldn't run them any other way. I wish I would have gone with a 26 inch tire though....

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
knightrider955 said:
So why are you running street radials on a Strip only car?? Im running 28/10.5/15 ET Drags on my Malibu and Love them. The sidewalls wrinkle up at take off and shoot the car like a slingshot!! I do have them tubed and screwed and wouldn't run them any other way. I wish I would have gone with a 26 inch tire though....

I haven't run slicks for well over 10 years now. Have run a drag radial tire all these years (strip only car). A slick is more consistent on a marginal track, but a drag radial is quicker in ALL incrementals as well as being more stable down track. If the track prep is marginal the bias ply slick will be a better choice for most. If the track prep is pretty good the radial will be a real good choice.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts