Dropping motor and trans in together? Tips?

BIG. T

Daily Driver
Nov 17, 2010
Mostly for those with 1in set back plates.

Im curious how the hell you guys drop the motor and trans in together? Im using original sbc mounts, carshopInc 1in set back plates on 5.3 and 4l60e.

I did a lot of test fitting with the engine alone, I had no problems getting it in. Then I dropped the motor and trans in together once by myself. Honestly have no idea how I accomplished it but it wasn't too bad. Had to pull the motor and trans again after that. Second drop in with motor and trans I had help and I scratched up the firewall, dented it a little and on the passenger side I removed the coil packs and the valve cover but the sharp corners on the heads still scratched up and even put a hole into the A/C box that I already previously notched with fiberglass.. So I had to pull it to repair the hole and clean up the scratched firewall.

I had to purchase one of the LS1 lift plates that replaces the middle valley cover. I tried my usual chain method with a bolt on opposite sides of the head, and tried using my load leveler but I found with the 1in set back plates theres not much room to try and remove the bolts from the back of the heads an firewall. The bolts/brackets on the engine leveler still damaged and scratched up the firewall ever more. So the LS1 lift plate has to be used.

Found that the biggest problem is getting the clam shells to fit over the frame pads correctly. I lift the motor at a very steep angle and drop the trans down, then I had someone underneath the car and lift the trans up as I slowly lower the motor. But droping it in at this angle is when most of the firewall damage occurs.

Thought about removing the frame pads off the frame and bolting them to the clamshells, then drop the motor in and bolt it back to the frame. However as you know frame pads are a b*tch to install/remove. Plus I already have them torqued down and a dab of blue loctite on the bolts. If I did this I wouldn't be able to torque the bolts down, I just have to tighten them by hand with a box wrench. I dont see getting the head of my torque wrench plus socket in there with all the mounts are together.

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
Re: Dropping more and trans in together? Tips?

Curious as to what people have done myself. I'll be putting in my LQ9/TCI 6X trans on the frame when the body is off the frame, so I won't be having this particular problem, but I am also using the 1" setback mounts, so I'd like to see how you do this. Good luck...

MetricBoo

Daily Driver
Sep 13, 2012
I used an engine tilter with 4 chains bolted to the front and back of each head.
Hood off, moroso solid mounts with transdapt plates.
Had engine in and out 4-5 times for fitment, no issues and did it by myself each time.

1BAD81BU

Pro Stocker
Aug 6, 2003
Whiteland, IN.
I dropped in my 03' LQ4 and 4L80E in one piece a couple weeks ago. I'm using the LSA CTS-V oil pan along with the Dirty Dingo Muscle Mounts(solid mounts that use your existing lower SBC Moroso solid mounts). Everything fits fine but it was a challenge to get in to say the least. I just about ran out of depth with the hoist because the hydraulic cylinder was hitting the grille. The oil pan wanted to catch on the K-member as well. But once we cleared everything it fit like a dream. The 08-12 CTS-V oil pan does indeed fit with plenty of room and so does the 4L80E. If fact, I probably could've gotten away without having to flatten the body seam on the firewall but I went ahead and did that anyway. Just take your time and watch the oil pan carefully when you're lowering the assembly. Later on, Nick.

DeltaT

Dragway Regular
Oct 28, 2003
Nor Cal
I find it useful to take off the nose of the car for this. It makes it so you don't have to lift as high. A good tilter turns it into a 1-person job. I like someone nearby to be ready to help but I only like my hand touching the tilter crank and hoist controls for safety.

Jim

87SS

Dragway Regular
Jul 18, 2004
Hillsborough, NJ
www.cardomain.com
DeltaT said:
I find it useful to take off the nose of the car for this. It makes it so you don't have to lift as high. A good tilter turns it into a 1-person job. I like someone nearby to be ready to help but I only like my hand touching the tilter crank and hoist controls for safety.

Jim

X2
I have installed/removed both together a couple of times by myself. Not fun and an extra set of hands would have been great. I had success with a small dolly under the car which the trans tail will sit on and roll as I continue pushing the combo in. It is up high enough for me to then get a jack under the end and lift it over the trans crossmember

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts