Dye paint

vickysbu

Amateur Racer
Jan 14, 2011
Low End
Did anyone see the episode of Muscle Car on the Power Block where they redid the interior of the Buick Century. They used an interior dye paint that came in a spray can and I'm trying to find some. If not that particular brand then any available brand would be fine.

QUARRY TRASH

Daily Driver
Dec 2, 2010
yeah it was on this am, the local advance auto parts stores sell a dupli color version of the dye, ive never used it but seems to be pretty good stuff, look on powerblocks web site they usually list thing such as that in there

JuniorJ

Frequent Racer
Dupli-color is JUNK, it has way too much gloss at first, then get's real hazy lookin after a few weeks. If you are doing just the plastic, look into SEMs products.
http://www.yourautotrim.com/semdye.html

And a word of advise, DO NOT USE IT ON CLOTH OR CARPET, it will make the fibers of the cloth and carpet stiffer than mornin wood.

vickysbu

Amateur Racer
Jan 14, 2011
Low End
I checked out the above link, and Summit also, but after looking at the prices for enough paint and prep solvents to do an entire interior, I just may want to check with the local upholstery shop to see the cost difference. Thanks for the help anyways fellas.

purecrazy

Weekend Racer
Jul 19, 2010
just adding my two cents here...def go with the SEM dye. As much as I love DupliColors sray paint systems for small jobs I don't wanna get out a gun and mix paint, clean up and etc., their plastic "paint" is horrible.

purecrazy

Weekend Racer
Jul 19, 2010
btw, SEM dyes work great and hold up very well on faded carpets, fabric seats, etc., that are in good shape but have just faded or lost their looks

JuniorJ

Frequent Racer
purecrazy said:
btw, SEM dyes work great and hold up very well on faded carpets, fabric seats, etc., that are in good shape but have just faded or lost their looks

B.S. I have been around upholstery for 30 years now and that is total B.S. ! A "paint" will not do anything to cloth or carpet other than make it stiff. Dye is water based and soaks into the fibers of the cloth or carpet, paint is solvent based and sit on top of the fibers of the cloth or carpet. I redo more seat covers that people have used SEMs or Dupli-color "paint" on than anything. They take advise from "friends" or people on message boards and use the rattle cans, then when it is all said and done call me asking why it is rubbing of on their clothes or why it is so stiff.

I had a SEM's rep come to my shop and tell me that it could be used on cloth, we did it the way they recommend, and guess what it was stiff and rubbing off within 2 hours.

purecrazy

Weekend Racer
Jul 19, 2010
ok, Junior, you are right on the "Paint", but I've used SEM's dyes and found that it held up very well on faded carpets...it was initially stiff after drying, but I took a soft bristled brush and worked it over, it softened right up and the color still held up for over a year.
I also used their fabric dye on a faded set of seats, but never drove the car much afterwards, ended up swapping out all the seats, so you may be right about the color rubbing off on clothing after a short time. I think anyone who uses rattle cans are trying a temporary sprucing up anyway, either can't afford to reupholster everyting at the time, or has an old clunker just not worth the investment...I'm sure no one will argue rattle can dye jobs over new upholstry.

78CheeseheadBu

Mar 11, 2011
Kenosha Wisconsin
Hi I'm New Here Get that out there first, I was Looking Into Getting Some Dye For My Car and I Found http://www.eastwood.com/ Is probably the best bet alot of Chevy guy's use this and I've heard this has great results Hope that Helps.

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
78CheeseheadBu said:
Hi I'm New Here Get that out there first, I was Looking Into Getting Some Dye For My Car and I Found http://www.eastwood.com/ Is probably the best bet alot of Chevy guy's use this and I've heard this has great results Hope that Helps.

Not trying to shoot you down as far as Eastwood but theyre OK for "some" things but I wouldnt go there and buy SEM products. SEM has a standard color chart with very basic and new colors. I would tell anyone to go to a good auto paint supplier to get an EXACT mix of the color they want. They were so many different colors used back then, not like now where new cars come with only 3 color choices for an interior. Ive used the product several times. I try to take a sample of the color that I want and they mix it. The last time I took an A pillar and the part of the dash under the steering column because they were 2 different colors. The guy mixed it so perfectly when I sprayed the piece of dash it matched so well you couldnt see where I sprayed it. And they didnt charge to do the mix. And I dont know if Junior or anyone else does it this way but I found it works best when you put on a very light mist coat each time. I may be doing it wrong but it worked well for me.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts