Effect of track width on caster/camber + lower a-arm ?s

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
http://maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=72614

I picked up a set of 17" F-Body wheels fairly recently, and I've been putting off buying spacers, mainly because I'm not a huge fan of running them. I came across the above thread while looking for info on changing the track width in the front. I believe I need to widen it somewhere around 3-5" total (1½-2½" each side) in order to be able to run the F-Body wheels without spacers.

From the thread I linked, does anyone know for sure about running 1st gen F-Body lower a-arms, and if a stock G-Body ball joint can be installed? Will this adversely affect camber through the arms' range of motion when paired with an upper arm, and everything is adjusted for stock caster/camber/toe?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Found the arms on Speedway's site, suppose I could e-mail them...
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Lower-Control-Arm,2095.html

The Moog part numbers are...
G-Body: K6145T
X-Body (also early A-Body): K5103

I'm trying to find out a)if there is a difference where the ball joint bolts to the spindle, and b)if the O.D. of the ball joint is different between the two part #s.

kevind

Dragway Regular
Jan 7, 2009
Whitley City KY
You can run them but the left one goes on the right side and the right one goes on the left. They also will make the wheel base about a inch longer. I have them on My open wheel race cars. If You swap Your spindles for the Mustang/Pinto it also takes a tie rod mod. On a dirt track car when running the metric a arms the tire rubs the frame with the Nova/Camaro they don't as bad but it may rub the fender on a car that has them. I'm not sure about the ball joints I run the big ones I think that they are a Mopar style. The spindle can be reamed to fit.You may want to look at other options.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
F-body wheels require no spacers unless you're getting IROC?WS6 wheels. I forget what the exact combo is, but you need 4 front or 4 rear IROC wheels for use on a G body. There's also something in the corner of my mind about getting IROC rear drum brake rear wheels.

Tommy

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Yeah, the ones I have are 4th gen wheels, that have uber-backspacing.
DSC02208.jpg

I'm not worried about spacing on the back, I'll eventually probably just pick up an A-Body 10-bolt, and worry about it then. Until I do that I'll probably run a pair of spacers, I'm not as conerned about side load (turning, etc.) as I am on the front.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
:oops: My bad, I keep forgetting about the fact that the F-body went past the 80's #-o

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts