elco's and drag radials???

1982 SS

Frequent Racer
Jan 19, 2007
Clearfield, Utah
I've got a set of 275 60-15 MT drag radials and i like the way they hook, my track has a lousy track prep, so I had to get the biggest tire i could get my hands on. I have a set of Dick Miller racing (dickmillerracing.com) upper control arm relocation brackets, like the edelbrocks and lakewoods just shorter. I've gone as fast a 1.75 when the IHRA took over track prep and I average 1.78-1.81 most of time on our sub-par track. BTW, the car weighs about 3800 lbs with me in it and runs 13.0's to 13.20's depending on the air. Its got a 3800 stall that flashes at 4400 on launch, I'll footbrake it up to 1200 rpm on the line, any higher and it starts to load up the suspension and it doesn't hit the tires as hard and slows my 60' down a lot.

elcamino814

Amateur Racer
Nov 21, 2009
Beecher,illinois
ok thats some good info. im lookin to get in the 11s this year when the cars done. i am going to go with the same tire because the 26 inch tire just spins like crazy now. right now my rear susp is upper and lower tubular control arms, comp shocks, ford 9 with 3.70 gears, lakewood traction bars, and hoosier quick times. im going to be adding a sway bar, air bag and the MT tires soon. i was just courious how the are on elcos. thanks

el meano

Amateur Racer
Jun 19, 2009
new haven CT
im in the same boat with a slightly smaller cube engine, and also looking to hit it with some smack. it is embarrassing to try to get the car to hook right now. i think i need to work on freeing up the front sus. for some transfer, as well as put some serious thought in weight transfer (lighten the front more....plate rear bumper and add a cross member or 2). i have a stick so it makes it a bit trickier, but i havent even sprayed it yet because 3dr keeps coming around on me........

i weighed the car on sunday. 3157 with me in it, so i have some room to play. as im sure your setup will be different from mine i feel that the key for the caminos lies in getting the front to rise more than anything.
mabey el dabo or elcoholic can chime in........

1982 SS

Frequent Racer
Jan 19, 2007
Clearfield, Utah
I have stock heavy duty springs up front and the front comes all the way up to full extension and pulls the left front just a little. IMO i would lose the traction bars and go back to stock. Set the ride height so lower control arms parallel to the ground, the 9" moves the upper control arm up a bit from stock with the taller housing and that moves the instant center a little further back than stock, that should make your car hook real well. I've tried the southside bars, which i think are similar to the lakewoods and they did not work well under my el camino. Another thing i do, i always run with the tailgate down, it moves that little bit of weight further back and helps it hook... just a thought.

el meano

Amateur Racer
Jun 19, 2009
new haven CT
i know this wasnt my thread but i appreciate the advice as it also pertains to my situation.
not to hijack the thread too much (or any more than i already have) but what shocks are you running at each corner, and rear springs? im sure others would like to know too....

also, do you still have heat, ps and steel bumpers?? just curious as to why you are so heavy? i got weighed at the local truck stop on sunday (is this the most acurate?)and came in under 3,200 with me. if there isnt a good reason that my car is so much lighter im going to use a different scale. ---how is everyone else weighing their cars

elcamino814

Amateur Racer
Nov 21, 2009
Beecher,illinois
yea im thinking of ditching the lakewood bars. my lower arms are almost level to the ground right now but once i get the MTs im going to lower the rear some. as far as springs they are stock v6 ones and im running comp adjustibles, front are 90/10 and rear are 70/30 i think. ive been trying to loose weight off the front with fiberglass hood an fenders, tubular upper arms and alum heads and water pump. im going to be adding a rear cross member in too, i heard that stiffens the frame a lot, and i also made light weight front bumper mounts too. trying to lighten up the front as much as i can! lol thanks guys

1982 SS

Frequent Racer
Jan 19, 2007
Clearfield, Utah
Mine's all steel, with p/s and power windows and a full interior and a factory trailer hitch. I've lost the a/c and the heater box but that really wasn't all that heavy. Aluminum heads is all i've got for weight savings. I could shave about 60 pounds if I go on a diet! i weighed mine on a scale at a coal dealer near where i used to live. I know, my car is definatley a bit heavy at the 3800 lb race weight. Shock wise, I've got kyb gas-a-just in the front and air shocks in the back that i run with no air in them. The reason for the air shocks is i tow a trailer with tools and stuff to the track.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!