Electric fan install

extremeracing

Frequent Racer
Oct 28, 2003
Kansas City
I bought a 3000 cfm electric fan new off ebay, great deal until I open it and find only a fan and temp switch, no mounting hardware, wiring, connectors, relay or fuses, and most of all no install instructions! please help! How should I mount it using factory shroud to direct air? how should I wire it up, it is set up to turn on at 180* thru the temp switch. Should I mount the tempreture switch in the intake port close to the thermostat? Any help would be great.

NEW2MALIBU

Dragway Regular
Mar 5, 2007
idaho
Rather than telling you the whole process, you should do a google search for " electric fan installation instructions ". It brought up alot of sites with ideas and photos. Hope this helps.

Goob

Top Fueler
Jun 6, 2003
Indianapolis
Welcome to the world of "bolt on" speed equipment. :roll: ](*,)

Call those folks at Flea-Bay that gave you such a great deal.. #-o :roll:

extremeracing

Frequent Racer
Oct 28, 2003
Kansas City
I have done research on it and have a good Idea how to wire it up, just need opinions on where to mount the temp switch on the motor, in the head or the intake?

Goob

Top Fueler
Jun 6, 2003
Indianapolis
Street car?
No A/C or anything like that?

Best temperature spot is in the head for most purposes.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
That's where my temp. sensor is for my gauge. I had an electric fan, but I took it off (had it on there for a couple years without issue) because I went through 4 alternators in a week... everything was fine after I removed the fan. Not to discourage you, but I'm a little leary of them now :?

extremeracing

Frequent Racer
Oct 28, 2003
Kansas City
It is a street car with roadtrips in the near future. Not running AC right now but would like to in the future. running a pump gas aluminum head 406, Looked at Jegs adjustable temp controller that has the probe that you stick in the radiator finns and allows you adjust at what temp you want the fans to kick on. How do you guys feel about this setup?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I used that kind of temp. switch, stuck it in the fin at the top driver's side of the radiator, right against the tank. I let the car warm up & the t-stat open, and when I knew the radiator had hot coolant flowing through it I adjusted it to the desired setting. I turned it until the fan kicked on, then turned it a little back so the fan wouldn't be running all the time at operating temp, only when I'm stopped and air isn't flowing through the radiator.

Goob

Top Fueler
Jun 6, 2003
Indianapolis
I'd have a 30% underdrive crank pulley driving the pump and a plastic fan spaced correctly to fit in the shroud and forget that other stuff.....stick a 160 t/stat in it and forget it.
If you run A/C you'll have to keep the fan running at all times the A/C is on.

The only reason to run an electric fan and water pump is to cool between rounds of racing and control your engine temp for consistency.....otherwise, you are looking for trouble and workarounds to compromises.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts