Electric hydroboost?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I saw an '87 GN today at a show that had electric hydroboost. I thought G-Bodies only came with mechanical hydroboost...
DSC03699.jpg

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/parts/partsProduct.jsp?itemIdentifier=38996_0_4837_88626&skuDescription=Cardone+Reman+/+Brake+Power+Booster&brandName=Cardone+Reman&displayName=Brake+Power+Booster&categoryNValue=14499999&sortType=&store=2703&isSearchByPartNumber=false&fromWhere=&fromString=search&counter=2&itemId=143-0&navValue=14400143&filterByKeyWord=brake+booster&productId=38996&searchText=brake+booster&categoryDisplayName=Brakes+%26+Traction+Control&parentId=44-0

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
Isn't that interesting! Factory due to being turbocharged? Now that I think about it I've
never really looked under the hood of a GN! Probably will now! Later

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Yeah, they put hydroboost on several vehicles. Earlier (I'm guessing, I don't know the exact history) T-Types/GNs have a 'mechanical' version that's run off the power steering pump (lines run from the pump up to where the vacuum booster would be), Astro vans (some, if not all) have them, when I drove a medium duty truck way back when (Kodiak) I remember it had it too. My dad's '03 1500 Sierra has something like it (heard an electric pump one day when the engine was off & I hit the brakes), though I've never really looked close to see if it has a vacuum pump on a booster, or if it's actually a full hydraulic/electric pump setup.

RatMalibu

Pro Stocker
May 21, 2003
Rolla, Mo.
www.fidnet.com
it's actually called a "Powermaster" and it's sorta like a hydraboost....they have enough issues that alot of GN guys convert to vacuum lol

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
That's what I'm wondering about. I'd rather go to a Powermaster than Hydroboost solely based on not having to run all the lines. A new unit is available through Autozone (don't know if the flaws of the original units have been corrected on these though) with a lifetime warranty... that there is almost enough to make me want to try to run one of these. There is wiring to them that I don't quite get though and need to do more research on... I've looked through the T-Buick forums a little but all I've found so far is an image someone made themselves (not a factory/Haynes type schematic).

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts