Engine install question

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
We're getting ready to drop the smallblock back into my car. Im using a 400 turbo. The original plan was to put the transmission in from under the car. Now Im wondering if I could put the motor and transmission in as one. The nose is still on the car. Anyone have any advice on this ?

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
The cars up on stands already. I just wasnt sure if the transmission would clear the firewall since its wider than the old 350 turbo.

shvrolay

Dragway Regular
lasttime78 said:
just a little FYI you need to cut a half of an inch off the firewall to tunnel lip, on the top of arch.

................or just bend it over with some 'finesse' hammering. I put the BBC & TH400 into my car as a unit.....no problem.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
If they're both out, put them in together! I always found it much easier. No fighting trying to get the converter seated while upside down, etc.

lurchsmalibu

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2005
Lakeland, Florida
It's alot easier together, especially if you have a tilter on the hoist to angle the engine and transmission down in the rear and level it out as needed.
Be aware of the obvious though.....the transmission fluid leakage from the tail shaft if angled too much unless you have a plug applied or no fluid in trans yet. 8)

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
Ive got a leveler for my hoist. Im just worried about chipping the paint. Last time we did a test fit we just dropped the motor straight down onto the mounts and let it hang for an hour. It was a lot of work getting the engine compartment real nice. I did some trimming on the welded seam right after I pulled the motor. I didnt go past the spotwelds though. You guys think thats enough ? I also havent bought a trans dipstick. Im thinking about the one for tight spaces with the locking top. I didnt want to use a Lokar because I still have the heater box under the hood.

WeekendWarrior

Frequent Racer
Nov 23, 2009
Stratford, CT
i used to put my motors and trans in one shot. i would get the front of the car just high enough to get the hoist under it, then the the back of the car up as high as i could. and with the car at this angle, the motor and trans would slip right in together without tipping the motor and trans a lot.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!