everybody needs a paper weight i guess

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
i got off the phone with fluidamper because
the streetdamper i bought had to be painted,no problem rite, i paint.i called them to see if they had an awnser for me about the fact that my timing marks are mostly gone and i can't find anyone that makes a time tape for a 7-3/16ths balancer.the GM calls me back and says i'm going to have to remove the paint and he's sorry :shock: :lol: .he's sorry?!this is enough to make me remove it and throw in the trash while ordering my ati!unbelievable.

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com
You should just buy a real timing light. :) Jim

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
:lol: and at it's biggest gap (8" damper) 1º is just over 1/16... that's why I bought mine with engraved marks :shock:

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com
If you have a advance timing light you do not need timing tape or all those marks. Snap on etc. you will keep the top dead center mark on ZERO and the gun will tell you the timing and any given RPM. ONE MARK and the timing gun does the rest. Good Luck.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
monzaz said:
You should just buy a real timing light. :) Jim
Doober said:
:lol: and at it's biggest gap (8" damper) 1º is just over 1/16... that's why I bought mine with engraved marks :shock:
i could just use a tape thats made for a 7-1/4 i guess it's only a 1/16th of rite?if i use an adjustable timiing light can't i set it for base timing and just use the tdc mark?am i on the rite track with that one?the marks are engraved but its sold unpainted so the paint filled in those marks for the most part.thanks for the replys guys

purple barney

Frequent Racer
Mar 29, 2009
Raleigh NC
monzaz said:
If you have a advance timing light you do not need timing tape or all those marks. Snap on etc. you will keep the top dead center mark on ZERO and the gun will tell you the timing and any given RPM. ONE MARK and the timing gun does the rest. Good Luck.

unless your running an msd 6al box. the advance timing light will give you an erratic reading with msd products just ask me how i know #-o

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com
Dude have MSD never had an issue. you rev the motor to where you distributor is fully advanced and the timing light gets adjusted to what ever degree the TDC balancer mark and the timing tab zero out at. NOW read the gun and that is your FULL ADVANCE TIMING. 38 degrees or 40 degrees what ever you like to run your motor at.

ASK for an early Christmas present...LOL :D Jim

purple barney

Frequent Racer
Mar 29, 2009
Raleigh NC
Doober said:
How do you know? :D

i had a cheapie timing light from advance auto and well on my old s10 at about 3k the marks would jump all over the place i thought my timing chain was shot. i almost pulled the motor apart. msd has that opit spark stuff that doesnt like the dial back lights. i switched to a good old fashion chrome craftsman and never had an issue. MSD suggests not using the dial back gun.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!