Excessive Gap Between Converter and Flexplate?

85streetss

Daily Driver
Aug 7, 2010
ft myers fl
I am installing a TH400 and TCI 10" converter behind a SBC. I have the trans secured to the engine and the correct 168 tooth flexplate installed correctly. With the converter bottomed out in the trans (yes I know i will have to pull it forward, bottomed out just so its out of the way for installation) the gap between the flexplate and converter is 1/2" to 3/4". I have done lots of trans installs before, but never with an aftermarket converter. Is this gap excessive? Can the converter be pulled out 1/2' to 3/4" of an inch and still be engaging the pump? Can i shim it? If I can shim it, what about the pilot of the converter not contacting the rear of the crank, is there a shim for that to? I dont understand this problem, I am not using a mid-engine plate. The trans has just had a overhaul complete with the front bushing from a very reputable builder. Anyone one run into this before?

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
85streetss said:
I am installing a TH400 and TCI 10" converter behind a SBC. I have the trans secured to the engine and the correct 168 tooth flexplate installed correctly. With the converter bottomed out in the trans (yes I know i will have to pull it forward, bottomed out just so its out of the way for installation) the gap between the flexplate and converter is 1/2" to 3/4". I have done lots of trans installs before, but never with an aftermarket converter. Is this gap excessive? Can the converter be pulled out 1/2' to 3/4" of an inch and still be engaging the pump? Can i shim it? If I can shim it, what about the pilot of the converter not contacting the rear of the crank, is there a shim for that to? I dont understand this problem, I am not using a mid-engine plate. The trans has just had a overhaul complete with the front bushing from a very reputable builder. Anyone one run into this before?

The Gap should be 1/8" - 3/16" between TC & Flexplate. Yes, 3/4" is very excessive. 3/8" is not. Someone may have screwed up when assembling the TC.
You can shim between TC & Flexplate but, not the Pilot/Snout.
http://www.tciauto.com/Products/TechInfo/FAQ.asp#4
http://www.tciauto.com/Products/TechInfo/FAQ.asp#5
Flexplate is on correctly? Not backwards? TC mount pads should protrude to rear.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts