fabricating a rear from scratch. specs any info.

malibuman327

Daily Driver
Apr 6, 2008
long island NY
im making a little project for my self in the hopes that it turns out good enough to use. i have a 8.5 rear out of an 85 pick up. and i wanna fabricate it up to fit in my 79' malibu. but i dont know angles or measurements on any of the perches or the upper knuckles.i know i have to cut the housing to factory specs to fit grand national axels, weld on housing ends for what i believe is late modle ford big bearing(torino) and im still searching for more info. if anyone has made there own rear or anything could you shoot some info my way. or any info would help. thanks kurt

Hitman

Dragway Regular
Oct 15, 2004
OKC
Why don't you just buy a 9" housing already done? Of if you want to do the work, do it to a 9". Pickup truck center,GN axles? Just put some real axles in it. ](*,)

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Wont work reliably. The cast center sections are highly prone to cracking if you try to weld UCA mounts on them.

malibuman327

Daily Driver
Apr 6, 2008
long island NY
thanks for all the info. if i could get the prebuild rear beleive me i would. but i dont have the money. i was trying to get my hands on a 9in housing but i had the 8.5 laying around so...
plus i dont know what bearing and housing ends to use with the 9in , so that the moser grand national axels fit propery. ill end up just calling moser for help. but i figured id ask around here first.

83LSWagon

Frequent Racer
Aug 27, 2008
Spring Hill, FL
To get around the cast center, why not build atruss from one tube, over the center section to the other axle tube?

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
the bare housing width is 52 3/8. Ford 9" rearends are as cheap as a 8.5 truck diff for a core.
brian

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts