Factory gauge cluster questions

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I just got a set of gauges from a Monte SS (for $15 wave.gif) today, and got the wiring on the dash connector changed over per the idiot lights to gauges tech link. I'm not positive everything works as the cluster was somewhat apart (bezel and lens were gone), but the tach goes to 0, and when I was trying a preliminary power-up the temp. and pressure gauges moved (once). I have illumination, and the seat belt light came on (just a bulb of course since I don't have the lens/bezel :evil:). I gotta check all the bulbs to see what's burned out so I can figure out if all the lights (signals, brights, etc.) work, and I guess I need to power up each gauge individually to make sure it works...

I'm also curious about the tach. I've seen talk about a tach filter, and I'm not absolutely positive it was a true SS (appears so though, had a floor shifter, interior matched exterior, paint looked original, etc.). The redline appears to be 5000, at least that's where the little bars on the gauge change color. What exactly would I need to do to make sure it works correctly? What does this filter look like/where is it located? The car I got it from is at the junkyard, so I could just go back to it if I need the filter. Come to think of it, I may look into picking up the rearend and steering column :shock:
That tach looks identical to this one:
105.jpg

While I'm on the subject of the parts from this Monte, my cluster has the wiper controls on the cluster bezel next to the headlight switch. The dash section for the gauge cluster doesn't have provision to fit the bracket for my original headlight/wiper switch. Would I run into problems if I tried to wire the wiper controls to the column stalk? I'm sure it's completely different being that it's on the steering column.

78_Elky

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2005
Oregon
smlblk78.onlineshowoff.com
you can switch it over to the steering column, its just a matter of taking the wires from the wipers to the column instead of the dash. And of course changing the turn signal lever. Pretty simple its something like 3 wires I think maybe 4.
-Josh

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I took a look at the wiper switch today, 4 wires, should be easy enough. I also discovered why the gauges don't work, a couple spots on the printed circuit board have corroded and flaked off :x So now I'm looking for a good printed board, I plan on headin' to the salvage yard in the next couple days, but in the mean time, does anyone know of places that sell replacement pieces at a decent price? I also found out the speedometer's a 115mph unit, which I thought was kinda cool \:D/

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts