factory tach

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Yeah, they should be the same. I believe there's a switch in back for V-6 and V-8 modes.
Jack ;)

ready961

Frequent Racer
Dec 21, 2003
Mass
Actually all the ones I have see are different. You can tell which one you have by the red line. If you want to change a v6 to a v8 there is a resistor on the board you need to change.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I'm in the same boat... anyone have a link to what the resistor needs to be for a v8? I think mine's calibrated for a 6, gauge color changes at 5k, and there's no way i hit that today when i took the car out for a test drive. By x.75 I figure it was near 3700, which was about right from the sound of the motor.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Updaters...

http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofmsc.htm#MISC Tachometer Reads Incorrectly

Apparently there's just a little clip/pin that goes from a center point to the top or bottom for v6/v8 that tends to corrode/lose its connection over time. The page says to remove it, clean the connections, and reassemble. Bending this 'clip' slightly should make a better connection and it should work ok again.

My tach reads ok at idle, but it tends to start reading like it's calibrated for a v6 once I get up in rpm.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts