Flaring brake lines at master cylinder?

A

Anonymous

I was out cutting and flaring the lines to hook up to my Steel Concepts (insert metalic ching noise) manual master cylinder. The small line worked just fine. But the big line is giving me fits.

My flare tool is SAE...are these lines metric?

The big line fits perfectly into the 1/4" hole on the clamp but the 1/4" die is way to small for the inside diameter. The 5/16" die is just barely too big.

The flare turns out lopsided. There is no way I am going to be able to flare this line with what I have. What am I doing wrong?

355_79bu

Dragway Regular
Dec 13, 2005
Cotter, AR
I used a SAE flaring tool to re flare my lines at the master (factory fittings were stripped so they needed replaced). The flare turned out perfect. Have you used your flaring tool before? Maybe the die is messed up or something. shrug.gif Another thing......did you debur the inside of the line after you cut it. Maybe that's why your 5/16" die wont fit.

A

Anonymous

355_79bu said:
I used a SAE flaring tool to re flare my lines at the master (factory fittings were stripped so they needed replaced). The flare turned out perfect. Have you used your flaring tool before? Maybe the die is messed up or something. shrug.gif Another thing......did you debur the inside of the line after you cut it. Maybe that's why your 5/16" die wont fit.

It just seems weird to me that the line fits perfect into the 1/4" clamp but the die doesn't fit like it's supposed to. I did debur it but I'm not working with the best tools in the world. O'Reilly's cheapies aren’t like the tools I have access to at work.

I have used flaring tools many times in my job. This line was just giving me fits.

I guess I'm just going to cut it again and see if maybe I'm not getting it deburred right. The deburring blade on my cutter was notching from were I have been trying to debur it. Crappy tools... :?

A

Anonymous

I'd have to second the guess that it's a deburring problem.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts