Flat hoods, How much motor can you fit?

Firetruck1

Dragway Regular
Jan 3, 2013
Ocala Florida
I am in the planning stages of a Malibu build, most likely a 79 2 door I will be going to look at in the morning. My question is with a small block on stock mounts, how much manifold/spacer can I go with? I plan to run a Edelbrock RPM air gap with a 4150 Holley and a drop base air filter. I would like to run a one inch spacer but understand if this will not work. I also have a victor junior which is about a 1/4 inch shorter. Does anyone have a picture they can share with me? I would like any real world combinations that are proven to fit.

For the record, my motor will be a 350 with a GM hot cam (hydraulic roller) AFR 190 heads and one of the above two manifold combinations.

lilbowtie

Pro Stocker
Oct 5, 2004
Canton Mi.
Vic Jr with 1 in spacer

Attachments

• header.jpg
    header.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,567

Firetruck1

Dragway Regular
Jan 3, 2013
Ocala Florida
So I should be able to go with a RPM air gap also with no spacer. What about the air filter, will a drop base clear this combination?

MonteMike79

Pro Stocker
Nov 7, 2003
Erie, PA
Here's what I ran under a stock flat hood, Brodix hv1000 intake, no spacer but I think this intake is probably about as high as an air gap with a spacer, my carb vent tubes were probably 1/2" from the bottom of the hood. I ran a drop base from an old corvette for my air cleaner. It was tight, now I have a 2" hood on it and it's perfect.

522motor.jpg

boostinmalibu

Dragway Regular
Sep 13, 2005
joplin missouri
according to your sig, its gonna be a driver, why not a LS platform? ability to make stupid power with one and easily keep it under a stock hood, EFI driveability, fuel mileage, and HP, best of it all

Firetruck1

Dragway Regular
Jan 3, 2013
Ocala Florida
I already have the motor, that easy! Im thinking of a overdrive, reasonable gears and to just cruise. The question is me trying to make the most of the parts I currently have.

gmtofd

Dragway Regular
Jul 16, 2004
Central Jersey
I use an old Weiand 8401 I think it's called and a Quadajet with a Monte Carlo type factory air cleaner. The front of the cleaner lid is up against the hood, but still have the hood insulation intact.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!