For my quick performance 9inch guys

Gthom

Daily Driver
Mar 2, 2013
I bought my 78 malibu with a quick performance 9inch rear already in it.. The axles are leaking on to the brake shoes so I pulled my drums off to find a bunch of gray rtv on the retaining plate I pulled off the retaining plate and what it seems to me no lip style axle seal?? Anyone hear of just having the bearing then rtv and the 4 bolt retaining plate?

t01blaze

Amateur Racer
Dec 14, 2011
South New Jersey
:-k I'd say it's supposed to have a seal between the bearing and retainer plate. Silicone can work in a lot of areas as a gasket, like for the cover, but not a shaft seal.

Gthom

Daily Driver
Mar 2, 2013
Do I need to pull the center section to pull the axles? Or I can just slide hammer the axles out?

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
the 9" you should be able to unbolt that 4 bolt retaining plate and pull the axle.no need to remove the center section.

shvrolay

Dragway Regular
You do not have to pull the center section to pull the axles on a Ford 9".
There is no seal between the bearing and retainer plate. QP 's 9 inch with the 'used' ends, have no axle seals. QP uses a 'sealed' bearing with an o-ring on the perimeter of the bearing that they claim will contain the rear end lube. Some times it does, most times it does not.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Another "feature" from QP...

Tommy

shvrolay

Dragway Regular
uh-huh. lol

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts