Ford 9" Center Section Question.

shvrolay

Dragway Regular
I have a question about the center section for a ford 9".....are they all the same measurement
from the gasket surface to the centerline of the u-joint (shown in pic), no matter what
year/pinion support/whatever??
A little hesitant to post this question........it seems so simple (stupid?), but I can't find an answer.

TIA

CS1.jpg

Phoneguy

Amateur Racer
Nov 18, 2009
Central fl
I do think there is 2 different yokes. Ones longer than the other

shvrolay

Dragway Regular
True........the longer yoke is used with the standard support, the shorter with the 'Daytona' support. The shorter yoke is used to compensate for the increased size of the bearing in a Daytona support.
This is what makes me think the center sections are all the same 'height' or whatever term, as long as the yokes are for the same series u-joint. (Does that even make sense?)
Just trying to find out for certain.

Phoneguy

Amateur Racer
Nov 18, 2009
Central fl
Here's a link with a bunch of info
http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm

there's a pic of two diffrent yokes and they are diffrent lengths, but it does mention the daytona suport. However unless the pinion is longer which I don't think it is, the yoke would interchange I would think. Wish I had them to look at. I do have a long yoke center section in the shop but I don't have a short yoke to look at. My studebaker might have a shorter yoke but it's a pain to look under.

shvrolay

Dragway Regular
Thanks for that link 'Phoneguy'...........found the answer (I think) on the page......................
These two yokes are quite similar and take the same U joint, except the shorter one is used with the larger bearing Daytona Pinion used in an N case. I believe the shorter yoke was necessary due to the added size of inner bearing.When installed on there respective carriers, supports equal out to approximately same height.

ImportThis

Daily Driver
Feb 7, 2010
i build gears for a living, the chunks are all the same length, the difference, like said above, is in the yokes. there is multiple yokes you can use, different lengths and different series of u-joints, depending on how much power you wanna put on the ground.

shvrolay

Dragway Regular
Thanks ImportThis........discovered most of my info about yoke useage is wrong - basically, there are long yokes that can be used with a Daytona support.
Your reply told me what I needed to know.

Thanks.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts