Front pinion bearing race change

Tip

Weekend Racer
Jul 14, 2010
I bought a pinion bearing at tha local parts store and was given tha wrong one. The one i installed had the yoke sticking out enough for the rearend to leak fluid. Thinking i hadnt torqued tha yoke nut down enough, i ended up crushing the bearing. Sooo, after getting another yoke, seal, and correct bearing, i have a "roaring" vibration at a steady cruise. A buddy told me i may of messed up tha race. Are there any sites that would give me step by step instructions on changing it? Or could one of you Malibu Gods help me? How hard can it be? Its a 10 bolt 7.5 with a Auburn posi and Richmond 3.55 gear/moser axles. Thanks!!!

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
The race is knocked out from the inside with a long punch. You have to move the punch around the rear face of the race and tap gradually; it will not knock out by hitting it in just 1 place.

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
In addition to what T5 monte said there's also a crush sleeve there to set pinion bearing preload. That must be set properly.

Tip

Weekend Racer
Jul 14, 2010
So the gear and unit must be removed?

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
Tip said:
So the gear and unit must be removed?

If you want to changed the Race, yes. The Carrier/Ring Gear and Pinion Gear has to come out.

What may have happened is you over tightened the Pinion Nut and collapsed the Crush Sleeve to far which would cause the Pinion Bearings to have too much Preload and cause the noise/vibe. A new outer Bearing & Crush sleeve may fix it without having to change the Race. You'll have to inspect the Race to be sure tho'. Hope it didn't also damage the inner Bearing.
This is for a 12-Bolt Rebuild but, same principle & parts setup.
http://www.webrodder.com/article.php?AID=134&SID=60

Tip

Weekend Racer
Jul 14, 2010
Wow! Great link! Soon as I get a chance I'm gonna follow this! Thanks guys!!!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!